Locating gopher tunnels in sand?

/ Locating gopher tunnels in sand? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I've watched the youtube videos to understand how pocket gophers make their tunnels and where to look for them when you find a fresh mound. The problem I'm having is that when I probe the ground with a rod to locate the tunnel I'm having a tough time. In this sand, I hit pockets of NO RESISTANCE where the probe will go into the dirt as if passing through air. Yet when I dig, there is no tunnel. The sand makes it really hard to locate the tunnel by feel.

Anyone found any tricks for finding the tunnel in sand or is it just the nature of the beast that sand makes it tough all around?

BTW, these are pocket gophers.

/ Locating gopher tunnels in sand? #2  
Have you seen the YouTube videos about getting them in a 5 gal water jug?

I don’t have sand so it’s tough to compare. Our best luck was a metal spoon to dig and a trap on a string to a coffee can to cover the hole. But the 5 gal jug seems interesting.

I know some don’t like hearing this. But with dogs it’s tough to poison and our trapping merely kept things in check. The real eradication happened when we got a cat. I’m sure their is a special place in heck for this creature as she kills like no other! The lawns and garden are gopher free!! She is sitting in my lap as I type. Did I mention I hate cats.......lol!

/ Locating gopher tunnels in sand? #3  
Why are you digging into tunnels? I've always used a probe to find tunnels then pour poison into hole made by probe. If sand fill's hole when probe is pulled out,try it when soil is moist.

/ Locating gopher tunnels in sand? #4  
Practice helps. I use a long trowel to probe for the tunnel and dig it out (to place a cinch trap). The trowel seems better for feeling where the tunnel is than the probe I used to use. We have loose sandy soil so sometimes it's hard to find the tunnel. When that happens I give up on that mound and try another one.

The cinch traps work well but require diligence. I'm not a fan of poison as it will get into any animal that digs up a poisoned gopher and eats it. I had an outdoor cat that was a good hunter. However she was not that interested in gophers; her favored prey was rabbits.

/ Locating gopher tunnels in sand? #5  
Have you seen the YouTube videos about getting them in a 5 gal water jug?

I don’t have sand so it’s tough to compare. Our best luck was a metal spoon to dig and a trap on a string to a coffee can to cover the hole. But the 5 gal jug seems interesting.

I know some don’t like hearing this. But with dogs it’s tough to poison and our trapping merely kept things in check. The real eradication happened when we got a cat. I’m sure their is a special place in heck for this creature as she kills like no other! The lawns and garden are gopher free!! She is sitting in my lap as I type. Did I mention I hate cats.......lol!
Why hate cats when you have a prize? A good hunter like that is worth a lot. He/she is just doing what it's supposed to...take care of it! Cats are great! :)

/ Locating gopher tunnels in sand? #6  
Why hate cats when you have a prize? A good hunter like that is worth a lot. He/she is just doing what it's supposed to...take care of it! Cats are great! :)

Oh yes she is loved! IMG_0864.JPG

/ Locating gopher tunnels in sand? #7  
   / Locating gopher tunnels in sand? #9  
My yard looks somewhat like a war zone - pocket gopher mounds. I've set as many as eight traps at one time. They do OK - I've caught 40 of the little critters. Problem is - there are five times that many - standing in the wings - waiting to move into my yard.

Now - when I have a couple cats - completely different story. They kept things in check and there seldom was a new gopher mound in the yard. I've got to get a couple more cats - coyotes, owls, hawks - everything's gotta eat.

Just a thought - how does a pocket gopher make a tunnel in sand. I mean - sand collapses and will not keep a tunnel open.

/ Locating gopher tunnels in sand? #10  
I had a mini dachshund that used to run a tight ship with critters in the yard. The only issue with gopher mounds was he would follow the tunnel digging the whole time. So I would come home and find trenches in the yard, :rolleyes:

Gophers never tended to stick around very long though.