Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #82  
If she had her rug hooking stuff, couldn't she have made a sleeping bag?

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #85  
I've carried these for many years:

resqme® Car Escape Tool, Seatbelt Cutter / Window Breaker

Used it for real once; works well on regular auto glass side-windows. USA made, easy to keep on a keychain.

Worth knowing..... you'll need a saw to get through many modern side-windows, as they're laminated....

Some Car Windows Are Harder to Break in an Emergency, Says AAA

Scanned the pages, but didn't notice the make/model of the problem vehicle that started this thread....

Rgds, D.
I like yours! If it's on the key chain, it'll be right where I can find it when the car hits the water.

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #86  
I have never been in a car where you could get locked in. At least in the front, electrically locked doors have always opened from the inside. Not saying there isn't one out there, I just have never seen one...
I've never seen an OEM car without a mechanical door unlock for the driver's seat.The mechanism isn't always obvious but it's always been there. I'm pretty sure there's a regulation requirement to have one.

Back seat is a different story.

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #87  
A friend of mine related a different auto door locking story: On an icy and snowy day some lady in a VW Bug (the new ones) turned the corner in front of his house and slipped, jumped the curb and got stuck. She got out of her car to look at the situation and shut her door. Unfortunately she had left the car in gear, The wheels were spinning slowly but the car was hung up on the ice and was not moving. The doors on the car auto locked themselves and she couldn't get back in. She knocked on my friends door for help. They called a locksmith. She was invited in and they enjoyed a cup of coffee or three while waiting for the locksmith. Some time later the locksmith showed up. He unlocked the doors and they put the car in reverse and with a shove were able to get the car back on the road.
Anybody that would get out of a car while it is in gear does not deserve a license. I assume if she would have put the car in park it would not have locked.
You can't get locked out of our car if you have the fob or the fob is inside the car. The car will lock the doors when it is traveling over 15 mph, so I guess you could get locked out if you jumped out while it was moving at a pretty good clip.
I guess manufacturers make changes to stay ahead of stupid people.

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #88  
I've never seen an OEM car without a mechanical door unlock for the driver's seat.The mechanism isn't always obvious but it's always been there. I'm pretty sure there's a regulation requirement to have one.

Back seat is a different story.
As I stated above, that should be intuitive. Fumbling to unlock the door after an accident or as your car is going under water isn't very safe.

Of course neither is driving into a river in the first place...

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #89  
Anybody that would get out of a car while it is in gear does not deserve a license. I assume if she would have put the car in park it would not have locked.
You can't get locked out of our car if you have the fob or the fob is inside the car. The car will lock the doors when it is traveling over 15 mph, so I guess you could get locked out if you jumped out while it was moving at a pretty good clip.
I guess manufacturers make changes to stay ahead of stupid people.
1675513761544.jpeg

What's the funny third pedal for you ask? Why was the car left in gear you say?

Personally I think every driver needs to learn to drive a motorcycle, standard car, a school bus, and a tractor trailer before being allowed a license to drive a car.

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #90  
I've got one of those pedals in my powerstroke F350. Thankfully I've never exited while it was in gear, it would put a hole in the barn wall. My newest motorcycle doesn't have a clutch lever, it has a dual clutch transmission. I have been locked out of the bike when I left the fob in the house. Many tractor trailers today are automatic.

Last edited: