Log Skidder for CK 30 HST

/ Log Skidder for CK 30 HST #1  

knibloe

Tractor
kioti ck30
I have 20 acres of woodlot about 1/2 mile out back of my property and I have a Kioti CK 30 HST. I would like to skid some logs out to the house. I have looked at the 3 pt hitch skidders and ATV skidders. I like the idea of the ATV skidders that lift the log onto a trailer type rig. Does anyone have experience with these on a tractor? seems like it would be easier and do less damage to the trails to and from the woods. I have skidded some large logs (30 inches X 20 feet) out with chains, loaded small logs on my wagon (12 inches X 8 feet) and even carried a few bruisers out on the bucket, but dragging ruins the trail, loading onto the wagon is hard on the wagon and using the FEL is very rough on the tractor. Any ideas?

/ Log Skidder for CK 30 HST #2  
Import them from China?

Import them from Canada?

This one has dealers in USA...

/ Log Skidder for CK 30 HST #3  
How is loading logs onto a trailer hard on a loader/tractor? At 1/2mi I wouldn't be dragging them out.

/ Log Skidder for CK 30 HST #4  
Wait for the ground to freeze and drag them out. How many trees do you need to process? If more than just a few for lumber or firewood, let the big guys do the heavy lifting. A proper skidder will pull more in a day than you can pull in a month.

/ Log Skidder for CK 30 HST #6  
^^^ Rob beat me to it.👍
Minimal investment and will keep most of the log out of the dirt.

/ Log Skidder for CK 30 HST #7  
If you are not going to be winching (huge forestry winch), then as other mention a log arch would probably be best solution.... Seems to me the hydrailic gripper/loader and trailer is quite an expense unless you are doing this professionally to sell the wood..... The layout of my 10 acres actually makes the loader/trailer combination almost impractical to navigate, that is why I recommend the arch....
And there is arch designs that totally lift the log so it does not drag....

1672795026998.png

Last edited:
   / Log Skidder for CK 30 HST #8  
A skidder drags logs on the ground. I believe what you are referring to is a forwarding trailer. I own one, and use it behind my compact tractor. I've really enjoyed using it, and appreciate how it is so much easier on my trails than simply skidding the log out. However, they are expensive: you need to be moving a lot of logs to make it financialy justifiable to own one. In addition, the ones made for use with a compact tractor are not going to budge that 3" x 20' log you mentioned.

I'd have to go with the recommendation Sawyer Rob, Rustyiron, and WranglerX made: Look at a log arch. They will move some good-sized logs relatively easily. Of the arches I've seen, the best made ones are from LogRite (See Sawyer Rob's link). I've seen some good home made ones - you can make one for surprisingly little money, if you or a friend are good scroungers and good with a welder. I've also seen to very light-duty ones for sale that I would not bother messing with, unless all you have is a very light tow vehicle and are just moving small logs. Do put some thought into stopping and handling, especially if the land on which you are operating is hilly. (A good set of chains on your tractor's rear tires can make a world of difference.)

/ Log Skidder for CK 30 HST
How is loading logs onto a trailer hard on a loader/tractor? At 1/2mi I wouldn't be dragging them out.
It isn't hard on the tractor it is hard on the wagon itself. I have to pick them up with the bucket and essentially dump them onto the wagon. Also, I did pick up one that was too large and now have a blown/leaky cylinder seal on the FEL. I suspect it was from moving that log.

/ Log Skidder for CK 30 HST
Wait for the ground to freeze and drag them out. How many trees do you need to process? If more than just a few for lumber or firewood, let the big guys do the heavy lifting. A proper skidder will pull more in a day than you can pull in a month.
I'm not doing a lot, but I can see myself doing it often enough to have a rig to help me.