Log splinters for tractors

/ Log splinters for tractors #1  

jack707

Veteran Member
Tractor
farm trac 555
I am having frustrations with the Ariens log splitter I bought. So I am wondering how reliable the splinters for the pto are and what brand is good.

/ Log splinters for tractors #2  
When you say "for the pto", do you mean like this?

standard.jpg

The pto runs a pump that powers the splitter... Not cheep, but my Timber Wolf is a "top of the line" splitter.

SR

/ Log splinters for tractors #4  
Just make sure you get a PTO pump type, not one you plan to run off the tractor hydraulics. They will run off the tractor system, but slow....most tractors don't have the volume or pressure needed to run a splitter. I went that route originally, but was disappointed by how slow it was, plus I didn't like it tying up my tractor.....like a big scorpion tail out the back. So I used the 3pt splitter as the guts of a stand alone version.....added a 16gpm 2 stage pump, tank, wheels, and a Honda GX240 to run the pump.

/ Log splinters for tractors
I looked on the hyd.hoses it said 2500 psi. So all I would need is a pump on the splitter to run the hyd??

/ Log splinters for tractors #6  
IF you want any speed, you need a decent sized pump, bigger hoses, valves with decent flow rating along with a decent port size in the cyl...

You see, it's all engineered to work together...

SR

IF you want any speed, you need a decent sized pump, bigger hoses, valves with decent flow rating along with a decent port size in the cyl...

You see, it's all engineered to work together...

SR
So what your telling me it's a lot of upgrades I have to buy. It would be cheaper with another gas engine.

/ Log splinters for tractors #8  
So what your telling me it's a lot of upgrades I have to buy. It would be cheaper with another gas engine.
You wouldn't have to upgrade anything except the pump. You wouldn't even have to do that, but your tractor hydraulics are low GPM. Unless you have multiple tractors I wouldn't use it for a splitter.

You wouldn't have to upgrade anything except the pump. You wouldn't even have to do that, but your tractor hydraulics are low GPM. Unless you have multiple tractors I wouldn't use it for a splitter.
okay I'm trying to understand this now I need the pump for the PTO to power the splitter....right?

/ Log splinters for tractors #10  
If the flow goes up (from a bigger pump) and you want to use that flow, you DO need more than just a pump...

I guess if you don't mind sloooow, then it won't matter much, the pump will just make more heat with the restricted flow...

No doubt, another motor to replace the problem motor is going to be the cheapest way out....OR fix the problem motor.

SR