Log Splitter hydraulic ram fitting broke off.

/ Log Splitter hydraulic ram fitting broke off. #21  
I am trying to remove the end cap on this 5"cylinder. It has a collapsible internal ring with about a 1/2" gap to allow this to happen, problem is, it simply will not release from the cylinder and with no holes like a snap ring would have, it is nearly impossible to get a bite on it. Plenty of rust buster from PB Blaster and screwdriver, to sharp small chisel to get bite on it and it is frozen. Man, I am eating up my valuable weekends on this stupid thing! About ready to just replace the cylinder.
They can be tough. Can't really offer advise other than persistence.

Usually try and get it to break free by spinning it in its groove first then try and unseat it. Which sometimes takes 3-4 hands. So if you have anyone to help with a pair of screwdrivers or big picks once it's started helps

/ Log Splitter hydraulic ram fitting broke off.
They can be tough. Can't really offer advise other than persistence.

Usually try and get it to break free by spinning it in its groove first then try and unseat it. Which sometimes takes 3-4 hands. So if you have anyone to help with a pair of screwdrivers or big picks once it's started helps
Thanks, been beating on the ring with every little cold chisel, nail set etc to get it to move with zero luck. Really eating up the groove. The space to get into this thing is maybe an 1/8". I really think this is the worst design there is. I have sprayed it down several times over the last few days with PB Blaster. Just not wanting to budge.

/ Log Splitter hydraulic ram fitting broke off. #23  
Can you push the cap inboard and maybe remove some pressure from the snap ring?