Log splitter plans

/ Log splitter plans #11  
I don't lift anything :) Set my splitter up in the vertical position and roll everything under it . Big pieces are dumped right at splitter with FEL on tractor and simply shove it over . Oak and madrone is the hardwood I burn but have also done 100+ year old ponderosa pine that was close to 32" in diameter . Rolled the pieces into the bucket and dumped right at the splitter .

Fred H.

/ Log splitter plans #12  
I don't lift anything :) Set my splitter up in the vertical position and roll everything under it . Big pieces are dumped right at splitter with FEL on tractor and simply shove it over . Oak and madrone is the hardwood I burn but have also done 100+ year old ponderosa pine that was close to 32" in diameter . Rolled the pieces into the bucket and dumped right at the splitter .

Fred H.

You still have to lift it at some point, though, unless you're scooping up the splits that are laying on the ground with your FEL. Lifting one big piece with a winch or a hydraulic lift and then keeping those pieces elevated as they come off the splitter is very minimal in terms of physical labor.

/ Log splitter plans #13  

Fred H.

Never heard of the Madrone wood, the picture I ses of that tree looks like wiggly bushy tree, is it easy splitting?
Then you throw the split pieces back in the bucket and stack in your woodshed......?

/ Log splitter plans #14  
Never heard of the Madrone wood, the picture I ses of that tree looks like wiggly bushy tree, is it easy splitting?
Then you throw the split pieces back in the bucket and stack in your woodshed......?

Yes, after wood is split , it is thrown back into the tractor bucket and unloaded in the wood shed . Big rounds that are split in half are rolled back into position for resplitting . Far easier for Me to roll something than it is to lift it .

Madrone is a Hardwood here in the Northwest also refered to as Laurel . Similar to Oak but less ash . Burns extremely hot if not controlled . Splits pretty easily when green , althoug when green , it is HEAVY . When rounds are somewhat dry and with cracks showing , they can be kind of Explosive when splitting . Thus another reason I do vertical splitting . No body parts are in the way if it " Pops " apart . In my younger days , I took a few body and leg shots from those pieces when they popped apart and with age , learned to keep body parts out of the way :thumbsup:

Picture of a large madrone taken by ???
444697-Giant-Madrone-Tree-3.jpg

To the original thread topic , although I have not searched the forums for any results , I have read many a thread here on others building their own splitters thus I think if one used others ideas from builds , then combined them first into notes then even a crude drawing or 2 , Would likley be pretty easy to build one .

Fred H.

/ Log splitter plans #15  
   / Log splitter plans #16  
Do you have the link to the 3pt. unit? All I saw were trailer units.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think mine is the first 3 point model that he's built. I emailed with him today. Sounds like mine will start coming together first thing next week. I asked him to take some pictures of the build process as he goes, so hopefully that will happen. As soon as I have some pics I'll start a thread about the splitter. I have about 8-10 cords of wood in log length and bucked up in 16&32" lengths, so I'll be putting it to the test as soon as it gets here.

/ Log splitter plans #17  
I'm not 100% sure, but I think mine is the first 3 point model that he's built. I emailed with him today. Sounds like mine will start coming together first thing next week. I asked him to take some pictures of the build process as he goes, so hopefully that will happen. As soon as I have some pics I'll start a thread about the splitter. I have about 8-10 cords of wood in log length and bucked up in 16&32" lengths, so I'll be putting it to the test as soon as it gets here.

Sounds like your all ready to go. Build pics would be great. Just thinking of a 3 pt splitter for my kubota up at the cabin near tomahawk.

/ Log splitter plans #18  
Ok folks, when it comes to wood splitters this works. This short video is one my son took several years ago. Since I have put a better engine on it. Seven seconds out and back on the ram now. I have picked rounds over 6ft in dia with this unit. NO back work picking up rounds. Go to plumbstriaight on youtube. Watch that spelling as I did a typo and put in an extra i. Just look it up, plumbstriaight woodsplitter. I made this in the late 70's and initially had it working off the tractor. Now it is self contained although I like it hooked onto the tractor for stability. I do about a cord an hour, but with smaller wood under 30 inches it goes much faster. Using the 8000lb hyd winch with tongs is the answer to getting the bigger wood up to the knife.