Log Splitter Power question?????

/ Log Splitter Power question????? #1  

Hiltz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 790
Hey guys, I just bought a old homemade log splitter off Cragslist. Sort of a Rube Goldberg looking contraption but the guy said it worked. It was a really good deal so I took it home. It did work great until I blew a hose. Since all the hoses were cracking I replaced them all, emptied and cleaned the reservoir, and replaced a seal on the pump. I put in new hydraulic fluid and fired it up. It works even better now. I was wondering maybe some of you hydraulic guys might give me a ballpark figure of how many tons of force this splitter has. The specs are: the pump runs off my JD 790 PTO which has 24hp, the cylinder is 4 1/2" in diameter, 2" ram, 24" travel, all hoses and fittings are 1/2 inch. I dont know anything about the pump, it seems to be old. If pictures are needed I can post pictures. Thanks in advance.

/ Log Splitter Power question????? #2  
The force will depend on the pressure setting of your splitter's relief valve. You would probably have to install a pressure gage to find out. If you know the pressure in PSI, then just multiply it by the area of the cylinder piston (15.9 in^2 for a 4.5 inch diameter cylinder) to get the extending force in pounds.