Log Splitter Valve acting up

/ Log Splitter Valve acting up #1  

dougtrr2

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX24
I have a log splitter from Tractor supply. I have had it well over 15 years. The control valve does not always stay in the retract position. This problem just started last year. Normally, when I move the lever to retract, it stays in the retract position until the cylinder fully retracts, then it pops to neutral. It seems to happen more when it is cold. I change the filter every two years. I had to do a complete fluid change last year when my filter housing broke.

Is this something that is fixable or should I just look for a whole new valve?

Doug in SW IA

/ Log Splitter Valve acting up #2  
I've got a 28 ton Huskee and I forget to do that with it half the time and just hold the handle. Then again, I use some shorter rounds and don't even retract it fully before loading the next one. I'm not sure I would care or even notice if mine stopped doing it.

/ Log Splitter Valve acting up #3  
Before getting a new valve, that the cap off on the current valve and check how it looks. Sometimes moisture and/or rust inside the cap will mess the movement of the springs.

Be careful as some parts may fall from the detent mechanism. Usually a couple balls and springs.

/ Log Splitter Valve acting up #4  
Sometimes after years of use a slight groove gets worn into the detent . Disconnect the handle and rotate the spool a half turn reconnect the handle. Often changing the wear spot solves the problem.

/ Log Splitter Valve acting up #5  
I experienced a similar issue with the control valve on a woodsplitter last fall. I removed the end cap or the detent cover and found that the lubricant inside had dried up and the metal parts had worn into the shaft. So looking at the availability of replacement parts and the associated costs, it would be cheaper to buy a new valve rather than buy the parts. So until I replace the valve, I had to disable the detent function. So check the detent but use caution when disassembling, as there are loose parts inside.

/ Log Splitter Valve acting up #6  
So the way these work is there is a detent that holds it in the retracted position. When the pressure on the rod side of the cylinder reaches a certain pressure, it opens a relief valve that redirects oil and pushes the spool back to center. This pressure is adjustable, so it might be too high or your detent is going. Sometimes the detent springs go bad.

I've adjusted a few. Pretty easy to do. Just need to pull the detent cap first and see if it all looks good. You might be able to shim it if needed. Then there should be a screw/nut combo on the side that you can adjust for the pressure. Out is less, so you would loosen the nut and turn the bolt in. It may also be that that seat is dirty or worn, so inspection and brake cleaner may be in order.

/ Log Splitter Valve acting up #7  
My wood splitter valve has a cap that covers a screw that pushes a spring that pushes a bearing for the detent. You can tighten it up to make the detent tighter.

/ Log Splitter Valve acting up
I appreciate all the input. I think I have it fixed.

On my valve the detents are two grooves around the inside of a tube. There are four small bearings that are pushed out by a large spring loaded ball bearing. They engage in the grooves for the detents. I took the caps off both ends of the valve and disconnected the handle. I slid the entire valve cylinder out of the valve body. There was some dried grease in the end. I used some carb cleaner and got as much gunk out as I could. I lubed it all up.

I was rotating the tube with the detents to distribute the lubricant. As I was doing that......SPROING..... the tube came off, and the ball bearings went flying. I could only find two of the small bearings. Incredibly, the bearings were the exact same size as the bearings I just replaced in my vintage Raleigh International bicycle. I dug the old ones out of the trash and was able to get it all put together. It seems to be working okay now.

So on my valve the 180 degree turn wouldn't have helped. I wish I would have paid a little more attention to the sproing factor. But alls well that ends well. I think there may be some adjustment, if it works I will leave well enough alone.

Thanks again.

Doug in SW IA