Log Splitter Valve Leak Questions

/ Log Splitter Valve Leak Questions #1  

Charlesaf3

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030, Kubota M59 TLB
I have a Harbor Fright log splitter - 20 ton, I want to say. The control valve has started leaking out the control shaft, I assume an O ring is gone.

Is this worth repairing? Seems like a new prince Valve would be around $60 or so. I've heard sometimes these small valves don't have repairable rings?

And is it likely that a small log splitter would be open center or closed center? I haven't really figured out the difference yet I confess. How could I tell one from the other?

Splitter is actually one of the better things Harbor freight makes. Mainly because the Robin Subaru engine is really really impressive - minor maintenance, fairly abused, and keeps going strong. I'm impressed with it.

/ Log Splitter Valve Leak Questions #2  
Save the trouble and buy a new valve. Most valves don't have O-Rings anyway-the spool is a lapped/honed fit into the bore so no external sealing is needed.

/ Log Splitter Valve Leak Questions #3  
I would doubt it would be closed center. Should be open center as you will probably find a lot of splitter valve references.

/ Log Splitter Valve Leak Questions #4  
I would doubt it would be closed center. Should be open center as you will probably find a lot of splitter valve references.

You are correct, I was in a hurry and neglected to answer that question. The valve is Open Center.

/ Log Splitter Valve Leak Questions #5  
I would actually expect a low pressure (return) o-ring seal on any spool directional valve....I have never seen a spool valve with out that seal....but I have never seen a spool directional valve with any high pressure seals inside either, as kennyd said, spools are honed fit into the valve body, but also designed to allow 2-3 c/c per minute leakage at medium pressure (around 1500 psi), to secure lubrication .....

It is this low pressure seal that keep the control "dry" on the outside. With out these o-rings you can expect valve to be "wet"....

Less than a buck for two o-rings and then 30 min DIY labor.....
IF it is worth the effort is another question.....

Edit:
Another reason for excessive leakage can be increased back pressure, check for clogged filter, kinks on return line etc.....

Last edited:
   / Log Splitter Valve Leak Questions
Thanks all, great advice as usual.

Fundamentally, given my need for time and the fact it is a harbor freight valve, I'll probably switch it out. The shaft the handle connects to did go from dry to wet, if that makes sense. A minor drip I'd live with, but its gone pretty steady.

Filter could be plugged, its been a while. But it looks like its plumbed in the high pressure line, ie goes from the valve to the ram. Got to imagine that the pressure there is expected to be pretty high?

Does this look like the right control assembly? https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7724&catname=

/ Log Splitter Valve Leak Questions
Thanks - was wondering why it was the cheapest one on the page - assumed it was prince. Probably doesn't matter - another 4 years and that log splitter will probably need a complete overhaul.