Chipper log splitter

/ log splitter #1  

woodmachines

Tractor
Kubota
We want to deal with log splitter. who can show us which kind of log splitter is popular ?

/ log splitter #2  
I prefer a gas powered because it can be moved without using the tractor and I often have my tractors tied up with other things. For sure get one that does both horizontal and vertical. Something in the 25-27 ton range is sufficient. The 2 speed pump us a biggie, cycle times are much faster. Mine is an Iron & Oak and I am very pleased with it, has the Honda engine. About 7 years old and the only repair was the spin on oil filter assembly, a spring broke in it.

/ log splitter #3  
I have a 34-ton splitter from Tractor Supply (a rebadged Speeco) that I purchsed a couple of years ago when TSC had a 10% off coupon offer. I've split several cords of mostly oak, some persimmon, hackberry, and elm with it so far it has been trouble free and easily split everything I placed in it or was too big to lift and split in the vertical position. I'd buy another one just like it if I wanted a replacement. I move it around behind my Kubota RTV which leaves my tractor free for other work.

Bill

/ log splitter #4  
There are many things to consider. I'm not sure that brands are a lot different. Check out older threads on 3 point vs. stand alone. There are pros and cons for both. Most important is how you will handle the logs. If you split very large/heavy rounds, you may want one that splits both vertically and horizontally. Be careful of the layout on a stand alone. Some have the wheels in an awkward location for loading the logs and some have too much weight on the tongue, making them hard to move around. (This is more of a problem on home built units.)

Based on my experience, I would make sure a splitter either has or can easily add log tables. It makes a world of difference in handling the wood. Don't get too excited over the difference between advertised "22 ton" and "34 ton" splitters unless you are splitting monster logs. Over the last few days I have split (in my spare time) about 3 cords of wood up to 2 feet in diameter with my 13 ton 3 point splitter and I haven't found anything I couldn't split.

/ log splitter
Thanks for all the replies. BTW,so many of my friends want to buy log splitter and let me choose for them,so I only have this idea.

/ log splitter
What about that made in China?

/ log splitter #7  
My advice is NOT to go cheap with a wood splitter ...a good one will last you a life time. We are still using an American' splitter purchased back in the early 80's...and it's only 8 or 10 ton.

Trouble with China stuff is they don't properly heat treat the metals they export...so China metals will bend or grenade if bashed on ...like a mallet for instance.

The internet is full of pic's of low end splitters with it's splitting wedge broken off or curled back.

/ log splitter #9  
Get one with a Honda motor, and check other threads on this subject. There are many...

/ log splitter
The splitter on your head looks good. BTW,can you tell the brand?