3-Point Hitch Log/tree skidding with your quick-hitch

/ Log/tree skidding with your quick-hitch #1  

ayelvington

Gold Member
Tractor
BX24
I've taken to using my Harbor Freight quick-hitch as a poor man's skidding arch.

I use a snatch hook that you can get from either Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply and hang it from the top hook on the hitch. I think that the attached photos speak for themselves.

Yes, you do have to be careful to prevent the butt of the tree from smashing into your PTO shield or the like. I just try to keep the chain close to the end and lower the butt if it starts to get too "intimate" for my liking.

Lifting the butt of the tree makes it a lot easier to move by reducing the drag and adding rear weight for traction. The first tree was a toothpick by weight compared to the second one. You really can move a lot with a SCUT as long as you have traction!

Attachments

• SSPX0106.jpg
    SSPX0106.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 1,980
  • SSPX0107.jpg
    SSPX0107.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 2,052
  • SSPX0108.jpg
    SSPX0108.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 1,629
  • SSPX0116.jpg
    SSPX0116.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 1,058
   / Log/tree skidding with your quick-hitch #2  
I have a Kioti CK30 another thing you can do is loop the chain around the drawbar looped around the log at the butt. just one big loop. The another loop on the hitch around the log. when you lift the hitch the first loop stops the butt from coming up and the rest of the log is lifted ready to be cut. I do not have pictures but will take some tomorrow to show you.

/ Log/tree skidding with your quick-hitch #3  
A set of tongs like these will hang nicely from the top hook, and you won't have to get the chain under the log

Skidding Tongs

/ Log/tree skidding with your quick-hitch
   / Log/tree skidding with your quick-hitch #5  
If I were to pull logs with my Massey, I would do the same as I did with my F250 when I logged my property..........

I used an old F150 pickup hood(that I borrowed from the local junkyard), chained that to the bumper of my pickup.....then put the butt end of the log on the hood...........chained both low...........the 70's style hood acted as a skid, and pulled the logs out just fine.

Be careful with your quick hitch, you seem to be hooking high ...........which could cause a rollover.

/ Log/tree skidding with your quick-hitch
If I were to pull logs with my Massey, I would do the same as I did with my F250 when I logged my property..........

I used an old F150 pickup hood(that I borrowed from the local junkyard), chained that to the bumper of my pickup.....then put the butt end of the log on the hood...........chained both low...........the 70's style hood acted as a skid, and pulled the logs out just fine.

That's what we use to skid over-sized boulders out of fields... I'm thinking the hood would be too big for some of the tight areas we skid out of here in NW PA.

/ Log/tree skidding with your quick-hitch #7  
That's what we use to skid over-sized boulders out of fields... I'm thinking the hood would be too big for some of the tight areas we skid out of here in NW PA.
I had to cut some smaller trees out of the way to make room, but it's all about safety.

A dead tree does a dead man no good.

/ Log/tree skidding with your quick-hitch #9  
I carry a couple different lengths of shorter choker chains along with the 20 footers. Grab hooks on the stock 20s and a grab hook on one end and a slide hook on the other for the chokers. Once I have the logs snaked out to where I can get around them, I cut them to handier lengths to move them or to buck them with my log/bucking forks.

LS_Tractor_057.jpg

/ Log/tree skidding with your quick-hitch #10  
A set of tongs like these will hang nicely from the top hook, and you won't have to get the chain under the log

Skidding Tongs

thanks for the pointer Kennyd, I just ordered a set. Should keep my fingers out of the poison ivy..