Logging started......

/ Logging started...... #1  

Woody65

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST 4wd
After consulting with numerous foresters and loggers, I decided to have 60 of the 106 acres logged of red and white oak that are larger than 18" in diameter. The parcel has not been logged in 30 yrs so there was plenty of mature trees. I had many offers and requests to cut down to 14" trees but opted to cut conservatively and keep the character of the woods intact. Found a forester who agreed with my ideas and a logger that cares for the trails and the woods. He will be cutting down the tops, that are left in the woods, to waist height and leaving as little a footprint as possible. I have seen some lands that were logged and it looked as if a bomb went off when they were done. Slash left everywhere, trails left rutted, damaged healthy trees, etc. These pics are of the first loads of timber that has come out of the woods.

image-413476307.jpg

image-1304987815.jpg

image-1778200381.jpg

image-2395340903.jpg

image-3916625198.jpg

image-2462525930.jpg

image-3552195976.jpg

/ Logging started...... #2  
Wow that a lot of wood!

How many more loads this size?

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

/ Logging started...... #3  
Looks like beautiful property. Should be a nice payday! Thanks for sharing.

/ Logging started...... #4  
Glad you got a good crew...3-4 man logging crew?

Looking forward to more pics.

/ Logging started......
Wow that a lot of wood! How many more loads this size? Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

This is the timber from 12 acres on my upper north ridge. Mostly red oak that was reaching its mortality lifespan. I expect that there should be 6 to 8 more loads this size before we are done.

/ Logging started...... #8  
any loggert should flat lap the tops if you ask.

your doing right staying on top of them.

/ Logging started...... #9  
Nice Woody! That's going to be quite a harvest. I didn't mess with IRS Form F and establishing a basis for my 15 acre chip harvest, but I bet you will. :D

Waist high slash sounds right to me in the Northeast with natural regeneration. That's what they recommend around here to provide some shade for seedlings and protection from the deer.

/ Logging started...... #10  
My neighbor's just had their's done and they only left the stuff 6" and under and any mature trees that were crooked. The trails for the machines were so wide and close together, they would've been better off clear cutting it.

I just saw it/found out yesterday, and it's still not sitting well. A real shame, but he doesn't live there, and his farm is on the other side of the lake so it's nothing but a payday for him.