Logging winch slips

/ Logging winch slips #1  

Lloyd J

Tractor
Kubota mx4700
I have an island 3601 winch and only pulls about half it’s capability before it slips,i replaced the full face clutch, cleaned both metal faces that the clutch contacts, adjusted the handle to about an inch of play before the clutch grabs, the 2 surfaces that the clutch contacts are as smooth as a baby’s bottom and the clutch is pretty smooth as well, could this be my problem, I don’t have another winch to look at to compare, any thoughts, suggestions would be great, thanks

/ Logging winch slips #2  
Sounds like you need a clutch adjustment. My clutch disk is smooth as well, but does not slip.

You do know that you only get full power when the cable is fully pulled out. The first wrap on the drum gets the most pulling power, the winch capacity drops fast as the drum fills up with cable.

/ Logging winch slips #3  
I have an island 3601 winch and only pulls about half it’s capability before it slips,i replaced the full face clutch, cleaned both metal faces that the clutch contacts, adjusted the handle to about an inch of play before the clutch grabs, the 2 surfaces that the clutch contacts are as smooth as a baby’s bottom and the clutch is pretty smooth as well, could this be my problem, I don’t have another winch to look at to compare, any thoughts, suggestions would be great, thanks
I believe there is another adjustment besides the one for the handle. That should be covered in your manual... hopefully it's easier to understand than the one for my Uniforest. I tried to find one online but couldn't.

/ Logging winch slips
Thank you for the replies, I was told and only saw the one adjustment, the clutch is adjusted so that when you engage the pto, the winch almost comes on that’s why I am stumped and my neighbor has one half the capacity and outpulls mine hand down,mine barely tries to pull the tractor when the winch starts to slip