Logging with a BCS

/ Logging with a BCS #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
Does anyone drag logs with a BCS? What kind of logging arch or other device? I have a 725, looking mostly at logs 18" or less, as long as possible.

/ Logging with a BCS #2  
Hello cmyoung2,

While I have no personal experience trying to pull logs with a BCS tractor I have to say be careful as the hitch on the 725 and most other models is held on with 4 M8 bolts threaded into the aluminum transmission casting. I have seen where someone pulled the whole rear off the transmission when a log got hung up in a rock while he was running in third gear. After the repair he still insisted on logging with the 735 but he rigged but a wheel to the hitch for the front edge of the log to ride on. You will want larger wheels and tires and wheel weights for traction and for ground clearance. It will be interesting to hear what your experience is pulling 18" diameter logs.

/ Logging with a BCS #3  
Very interesting idea. I would consider attaching the log arch to the BCS trailer hitch.

My only concern will be attaching the arch to the unit in the field, on uneven terrain.

Good luck, keep us posted, and provide plenty of photos.

/ Logging with a BCS #4  
A 725 would be tough as it does not have differential. Steering will be hard, but you have that nifty barrow you built, so you already know that.

I think you'd be best off building a cradle like this one. The hitch would have to be solid so it only swivels side to side and not up and down. You'd also need to put the lift point further forward to get tongue weight.

Northern Industrial ATV Log Skid Arch and Holder | Logging Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

119010_lg.jpg

As far as the connection point, if you don't think the hitch is strong enough, you can buy or build a hitch that bolts directly on the PTO. I have one NOS if you'd like me to post a pic...

Last edited:
   / Logging with a BCS
My 725 is upgraded with bigger tires, brake, and I use the quick connect hitch, so the pin hitch is gone. Making a pin hitch for the quick connect will be no problem, and I don't think strength will be a problem. My main concern is will there be enough tongue weight with the log arch to help with traction? Turning with the pin hitch would take muscle, but what's new:(. The terrian here is not exactly level, main purpose of trying this is to haul log length firewood out of cutover areas. I'll post pictures, but it may be awhile, getting the greenhouse going has to come first.

/ Logging with a BCS #6  
If you put the point where the chain connects further forward of the axle versus the sample pic, you'll increase your tongue weight. You'll also have a seat on the tongue, so you'll provide tongue weight as well.

/ Logging with a BCS
hadn't even thought about a seat, that just added 200+lbs for traction:laughing: