Logging

/ Logging #1  

Rowski

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader
I have a job that will require to do some log skidding. The logs them selves are small 6" or less. The terrain is mostly flat and open. The logs will need to be skidded about 1/4 mile along a dirt road. The job looks like it will take about 4 hrs.

I don't own a logging winch. I usually don't skid trees. The only reason I am taking this job is because the guy gives me a lot of other work and I have a hard time saying no /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I was thinking of using a draw bar (on the lower 3pt arms) to help me get the but of the log off the ground to help skid the logs on the road. Get a couple choker hooks (with hasp) for my chains and some how hook them to the bar on the 3pt hitch. Right know I'm not sure how to hook my chains to the tractor.

Any ideas? I don't mind spending $50ish to make the job go easier.

/ Logging #2  
I am currently clearing land of trees similar in size. The ones I've pulled I hooked the chain to the drawbar with no problems.

/ Logging #3  
There is a grab hook& clevis makup that can attaches to the draw bar with a draw pin. They work super good, but I have only seen them for 1/2" chain, but 3/8"& 5/16" will work in them. You could put 2 or 3 on the drawbar. If you are handy at making things, make up a couple for the size chain that you will be useing. I assure you that there have been just as many logs skidded with a drawbar as with a winch.

/ Logging #4  
Rowski, the first thing I want to say is that whatever system you use, make sure you keep the log as low as possible without dragging the front end against the ground. Where your fixed drawbar is located is the BEST height to drag from. That said, I most often use a boom pole down very low. Tie a rope around the tree with a clove hitch knot and the same around the lowest part of the boom pole where the pole attaches to the 3pt hitch. Lift the tree only enough to keep it off the ground and you should have no problem pulling it to wherever you need. You will most likely need front end weights if you don't have a loader on. I sometimes need to add concrete blocks in my FEL if the tree is large. I hope this helps, John

/ Logging #5  
I use one of those hooks that pins to the drawbar. I find if I run into a stump or something the tractor will lose traction if the drawbar is lower than the axle, and the front end will lift if the drawbar is higher. Before I got that fixed in my mind, I'd just pull the chain under the tractor and hook it to the front bumper, of course then the log stopped more often 'cause any little root would hook it.

/ Logging
Well my little log job turned out well. I got the drawbar for the 3 pt arms $25 and the Big Orange grab & clevis hook for about $18. I could only find the one for 1/2" chain. The salesman seemed to think they only made it in 1/2". It worked well and I was able to put 2 chains (5/16) on one hook. I put choker hooks on both ends of my 5/16 chain and was able to pull more trees. The only problem was the mud and there was a lot of it. The last hitch I was pulling (2 3" diameter trees) I could not pull through the mud, the front axle was in barely visible. This mud was not soupy but more thick and chunky with clay at 12-14" depth. I stopped unhooked the hitch and the tractor couldn't move forward /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Luck I had my FEL and was able to walk the tractor forward by curling the bucket backward. Slow process but I made it. Backed back up to the logs in a different anlge and hooked up one at a time and got them out no problem.

I've had my tractor in mud before but never for 4 hrs. Thank god for differential lock and FEL /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

/ Logging #7  
Glad to hear that things worked out for you. That clevis hook is a handy tool to have around. Many of operstors have been saved with a FEL. I have had to do the same thing with a large payloader.