Long Backhoe???

/ Long Backhoe??? #1  

llewellynsd

Tractor
Sath S-370
Guys,
Help me out here. I found a used full Size Backhoe. The manufactoure is "Long" and I admit I don't know much about hoes especially the name brand "Long". I know they make tractors and one farmer near me has only spoken poorly about the tractor he owned at one time.

The hoe is in very nice shape, the contractor who owned it has really taken care of it especially cosmetically. It is a deisel and I did call the dealer who the guy bought it from back in the early 80's. It told me it is a strong hoe with about a 70 HP leighland or leeland engine in it. It was made between mid and late 70's and parts are kind of getting tough to get.

The owner is asking $7500 for it but told me to make him an offer since he has two hoes sitting around and not earning money for him right now, his other is a new Case. I would not be trying to make a living with this hoe just be using it around my 40 acres to save my back.

Any knowledge about Long full size backhoes? Is there any reputation hanging over them for breaking certain parts? Any comments throw them my way. Are there any web sites out there who sells parts for Longs?

Thanks Shawn

/ Long Backhoe??? #2  
Hi
can't realy help you but that motor is probably a leyland. I think they are english and stoped production in the late 70s or early 80s.
vin

/ Long Backhoe??? #3  
Long has badge-engineered many different brands of tractors over the years,including Nuffield/Leylands. The ones that seem to be the most troublesome are the Universals from UTB in Romania.

Now I do not know anything about the Long add-ons,but the Leyland brand were good tractors. Parts are readily available along with manuals from Monty at AngloAmerican Parts leylandparts@aol.com