Tiller Long tiller, requesting info please

/ Long tiller, requesting info please #1  

hartmacw

Tractor
2003 Deere 4710
there is a Long 5' tiller coming up for auction in my area in a few weeks. I have attached pictures. I don't know the model number because the auction house doesn't know it and I can't preview it yet. My question is, can anyone identify the model of it from the pics? All I'm really trying to find out is if parts are available for it. And if so, can you inform me where I can order parts? I don't want to purchase something I can't fix if it breaks.

I will mainly be using it to till a moderate size garden and several smallish food plots, less than an acre in total. Next spring I'll be breaking new ground/sod in all of these areas and I'm hoping for not-so-many rocks and obstacles but I'm not sure what I'll find until I get into it. Does anyone know if the Longs have slip clutches or shear pins?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• long1.JPG
    long1.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,469
  • long2.jpg
    long2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,179
   / Long tiller, requesting info please #2  
I would try and look at it first if cutters are worn out and need replacing could cost what its worth

/ Long tiller, requesting info please
I would try and look at it first if cutters are worn out and need replacing could cost what its worth

Agreed, my question is whether or not these parts are even available if I would eventually need them...

/ Long tiller, requesting info please #4  
Doesn't look like it was ever used. Might either be broken, or owner didn't really need it. I'd take a chance on it if it were cheap. I'm not familiar with the design: looks like the wheels set the depth somehow? Interestin'.
Jim

/ Long tiller, requesting info please #5  
   / Long tiller, requesting info please #6  
Doesn't look like it was ever used. Might either be broken, or owner didn't really need it. I'd take a chance on it if it were cheap. I'm not familiar with the design: looks like the wheels set the depth somehow? Interestin'.
Jim

Does look pretty good. I was thinking the wheels are only there for storage so it does not "roll" forward when you disconnect it - could be totally wrong as I personally never used one. Good luck on your search

/ Long tiller, requesting info please #7  
I have a Long 1537 that looks pretty much like it. The wheels are adjustable height, but I usually take mine off. I have sand so I just set the height with the lift. It has a center pinion and driven gear. The gears are very pricey if it is broken and if you can find them. There are a couple of posts on the Long Tiller. Each side has 4 rows of 6 tines, 48 total

/ Long tiller, requesting info please
Thanks all for your comments. I will see what it brings here in about a month and go from there. If I can still get some common parts for it as the links above suggest, and it appears to be in good condition as the pictures suggest, I might take a chance on it.