Longest power outage?

/ Longest power outage? #1  

300UGUY

Tractor
Kubota L3400, Farmall H
I was just thinking about checking my genset out, it's a propane unit, 15kw. The longest I've been out is 7 days. Consumer's power, in Michigan.

/ Longest power outage? #2  
Couple years ago I lost power for just over three days. We has a pretty big snow storm and a lot of trees lost branches, taking out power lines. I didn't have a wood stove then, but I do now!!!! Small Honda generator will give me enough power to have a few lights on and either the TV or the computer and charge my phone. We don't really need much more to get through the evening.

Eddie

/ Longest power outage? #3  
I definitely consider us to have been very, very lucky. We've had lots of power outages, but the longest one we ever had was 8 hours in Navarro County the morning we were getting ready to go to my father's funeral in 1996.

/ Longest power outage? #4  
During our ice storm in 1997 we had folks out for six weeks;we were only down for four days.Since then all of our family households have generators.

/ Longest power outage? #5  
We were without power for a week and my brothers over two weeks, some even longer. We ran our 5000kw to power our heater, lights submersed water pump etc. This spring we put in a 20kw propane unit that runs automatic checks, also is serviced if needed. We are just too old to be dragging generators and cords around in the middle of a storm.

/ Longest power outage? #6  
Power was out for 5 days in Olympia a few years ago... it was also during a record low cold snap.

Home is wired for a gen-set with pigtail in place... so my renters hooked up their generator so the well would work... house is all electric and asked neighbors if this happens often and they said no... otherwise I was thinking of setting a propane tank...

/ Longest power outage? #7  
4 days during the ice storm a couple years ago.

Ran a fire in the fireplace all four days and the lowest the temperature got in the house was about 40 degrees in the cellar; so no frozen pipes.
Used the camp stoves hooked to a propane tank to cook on and boil water.
Pump and heating system won't work without electricity, so I have a half dozen 7 gallon jerry cans of water stored away.

/ Longest power outage? #8  
After Katrina, we were out for a month. It had to be our hottest September ever - - upper 90's every day. Burned a ton of gasoline keeping a portable generator going. And yes, we added a 15 kw propane unit a couple months later. Nothing like closing the barn door a little late.
And, we were out for 4 days after a snow in 2008, but my generator cannot handle heat. Luckily, my woodstove works well.

/ Longest power outage? #9  
we were without power for 6 days after wind storms hit about 6 years ago
Lived in a plat back then and I was the only one with a gen set (6500 watt)
So every 2 hours I would take the gen set and move it from house to house (total of 6 houses)
Neighbors would have extension cords outside and I would come by and plug them in and start the gen for there 2 hrs.
luckily this was in Sept and we didn't need heat or air but we kept all the freezers and refrigerators running
most neighbors would also go and get gas but some would rely on me to have it
was actually a good time as the neighborhood got closer and we would get together and grill out

/ Longest power outage? #10  
We went without power for 17 hours during a summer wind storm about 18 years ago. Fortunately, winter outages have been considerably shorter and less often. I have never run my generator during a power outage.