Looking at a 441 Stihl

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #21  
I bought a new MS441 in 2006 when they were introduced, it was a great saw and I cut alot of wood with it, primarily used a 25" bar but on some occasions I ran a 28" and it handled it fine buried in oak. I recently traded the MS441 in on the new MS441R CM. This model comes with a high output oiler, 3/4 wrap handlebar and heavier anti-vibe springs for a better feel with longer bars. The main addition is the M Tronic electronically controlled carb that is constantly being adjusted for maximum power output for the conditions. I have ran about 5 tanks through it so far and it is really amazing how it runs for a bone stock saw without even as much as a muffler modification. In smaller wood say 20" or so it cuts as fast or faster than my MS660. By the way KYboy, MS441 have ALWAYS had an adjustable bar oil pump. In my area of the country I couldn't buy a Dolmar if I wanted to as the only dealers listed in their locator usually turn out to be a place with a sign out front and only a few smaller saws in stock, no 7900s to be found and now I understand that no 7900's will be available until this spring due to EPA issues

Steve

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #22  
I stand corrected. I was just going by what a dealer told me. However, I also looked at Stihl's website prior to calling him and it made no mention of the adjustable oiler on it's list of features, so I figured the dealer knew what he was talking about. Obviously stihlman you know more about the 441's features than I, or the dealer I called to inquire more about it does.:)

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl
How much more does the M tronic cost?

John M

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #24  
That is the case more often than not KY, alot of dealers, of all kinds of products, don't really know their product line as well as they should. I suspect in this case your dealer was trying to push the 460 because shortly there will be a newer replacement coming out, the 461, and he wants to move his old stock. The 460 is a great saw but technology has advanced since it was introduced and it needs an update. The M-tronic versions of the 441 are more expensive than the standard ones, I am not sure of how much exactly but the standard 441's are going to be phased out so all will have the M-tronic fuel system, which is similar to Husky's auto tune. My saw is the R version with has the 3/4 wrap handle bar and other goodies and it is about $40 higher than the standard 441 CM. I would suggest you consider them and do your own research, both here and arboristsite.com and buy what you like from a good dealer that can take care of any issues your have. Dealer support is a good thing, no matter what brand you chose.
Steve

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #25  
I think that has MUCH less to do with it than the reasons I mentioned.

If by that statement, you are somehow implying that stihl saws are more reliable than the competition. Because that is not a factual statement.
Factual statement? You wanna talk about facts? You can't handle the facts! :D :laughing:

You're entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. Please remember that I was expressing an opinion and my personal observations. I didn't cite any statistics or claim to be an authority.

I think that reliability has EVERYTHING to do with it. When you are self-employed and depending on a piece of equipment to make a living, down-time will kill you. I'm not a logger, but here on my farm, reliability has everything to do with it. I have a limited amount of time to do my farm work, since farming does not provide me with a living. Down-time kills me too.
I did not say that a Stihl was more dependable that a Dolmar. (or any other brand, for that matter)
What I said was:
Dealer network and service is very important. Mechanical stuff will eventually break or wear out. Things have to be replaced. And, if you have a tree down across your fence, you need it now, not in a few days.

While I agree that most businesses like to have all of the equipment the same brand for convienence, there's another reason: Stihl saws work. Very, very little down time. And down time is money lost. Period. It's simple economics.

Contrary to what many people see on Ax Men, or other TV shows, most loggers around here are small companies with a handful of employees. (and those will likely be family) The "grunts" have a lot to do with which saw is purchased, since the owner will be using it himself.

Just my :2cents:

BTW, I know what a Dolmar is, I just stated that nobody I know uses them. ;)
And, I stand by my statements.

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #26  
If you buy a 460 magnum and put a two port muffler on it and adjust fuel oil correctly you will be hard pressed to find a better power to weight ratio saw. I have a few logger buddies and they have run almost every saw made, they all run the 460 Stihl. Parts availability is excellent and there more field serviceable than most saws. I have a new 2010 460 magnum 36" bar for my bigger fire wood and if it's sharp it will not bog down no matter how hard you lean on it, cutting old growth Douglas fir.

Ms280
Ms200t
Ms460
Ms361
Shindawa 695 pro
Husqvarna x 3 models ?

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #27  
I have had a 441 for a couple years and love it. Its very smooth and good on fuel as others have said. I wouldnt hesitate to buy one at all.

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #28  
There is no doubt the MS460 is a great saw, they have been proven over many years of service in all kinds of conditions. I have a 2009 MS660 with a 36" bar that is a horse also. The big advantage the newer Stihls like the 441 M tronic is the increased power due to the constant tuning of the carb for maximum power. The fuel mileage and anti-vibe are much better as well. I think the M tronic system is just a bridge technology between the standard carbertors and fuel injection which is not far off I can't wait until the MS661 fuel injected is introduced.

Steve

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #29  
I can't wait until the MS661 fuel injected is introduced.

Steve

I think the 461 will be first. Saved some demo 461 pics to a thread. ;)

Havent seen any 661 yet. :drool:

/ Looking at a 441 Stihl #30  
I think I'm pretty comfortable with a carburetor instead of fuel injection. I think the most expensive carb kit I've ever bought was about $20. I doubt there's many parts in a saw fuel injection system you'll be able to buy for less than $20.

I guess I'm just cheap. To me, a chain saw is just a tool I use. The less expensive it is to maintain the more money I have for either retirement or things I consider more important.

I'm not into hot-saws and "racing", so it's a different perspective.

Sean