Looking at a John Deere Z930M

/ Looking at a John Deere Z930M #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
Hello all,

I posted in another section trying to find some reviews/opinions on this mower with no luck. Any current owners on here that own one of these? Likes and Dislikes??. I am stuck between this one and a Gravely Pro-Turn zero-turn. Never owned John Deere mowers so trying to get some feedback.

Thanks

/ Looking at a John Deere Z930M #2  
I had a Z930A that I kept for 10 years, and it was a great mower. I am a retired machinist and aircraft mechanic, so I have the ability to take care of my equipment and vehicles. However, almost anyone could have taken care of the 930. If you can sharpen the blades, grease, change oil, change air filter, and replace the spark plugs every couple of years, you will have no trouble with this machine.

Also, I had a JD 425 lawn tractor that I replaced with the Z930A, and I immediately cut my mowing time in half. I would have kept the 930, but my neighbor is the manager of the local Deere store, and he made me a deal on a Z994R that I couldn't refuse. I suppose that I wanted a diesel mower to park beside the diesel tractor. Great machines, one and all!

/ Looking at a John Deere Z930M #3  
Hello all,

I posted in another section trying to find some reviews/opinions on this mower with no luck. Any current owners on here that own one of these? Likes and Dislikes??. I am stuck between this one and a Gravely Pro-Turn zero-turn. Never owned John Deere mowers so trying to get some feedback.

Thanks
After demo'ing one a while back I decided that I really wanted a Z930M as my next mower. I have a 5 series now which is nothing compared to the 9 series, and mine has been an absolutely tank. Before I got my tractor it hauled logs out of the woods, graded my driveway, hauled material, cut trails, I even bush hogged with it clearing a few acres of new pasture, all on top of mowing 5+ acres of grass each week (which I still do). I'm just waiting for it to die so I can get the 9 but I half way worry the thing will last forever. As to the Z930M, it seems to the be the top choice for those doing commercial landscaping where I'm at and it's not unusual to see them with thousands of hours on the clock still out there mowing acre after acre. Based on my experience with the 5, I have little doubt a Z930M would be the last mower I'd ever have to buy.

/ Looking at a John Deere Z930M #4  
We have a Z930M. It's only got about 12 hours on it so far but we have no complaints. It is a beast in my opinion. It's got solid front tires and the tweels on the rear.

/ Looking at a John Deere Z930M #5  
I have Z920, my neighbor has the Z930...
His was purchased new, mine was 5-6 years old when I bought it (think it's a 2007 model).
Both are running quite well. I mow about 2-2½ acres of lawn. The neighbor mows a good 3-3½ acres (part of which was an overgrown field that he cleaned up with his Z930...work the mower was never designed for)

Other then the annual maintenance (oil and air filters, oil changes, blade sharpening, etc.), few problems. I have had to replace the PTO switch on mine a couple times...that's a weak spot, but an easy replacement. I think my neighbor has had the same problem.

Mine is stored in the garage when not in use. Neighbor's machine lives outside all year (covered with a tarp during the winter). Both mowers' paint has faded, of course

I've had mine since 2014. Neighbor's Z930 was purchased new a couple years before I bought my Z920

All told, great mowers!

When it's time to replace mine, I'll want another Dere ZTR, hopefully a diesel

/ Looking at a John Deere Z930M #6  
Hello all,

Thanks
Great mowers. I run the R version. Only difference is hydraulic deck lift and seat. Absolute tank. Do your proper maintenance and keep the mower deck clean top and bottom after season or when really dirty and it will last a lifetime.

/ Looking at a John Deere Z930M
Thanks for the responses. I ended up with a Gravely Proturn 152. I really liked the John Deere but once I tested the Gravely I was smiling. I really liked it. I went to buy a Proturn 452 which is similar in size to the Deere 930z but I decided to try the 152 just to see. It fit me well and was a little bit smaller than the 452 and 930z but bigger than the Gravely 48z I own. I would definitely recommend the Deere though. Great machine and I have nothing bad to say about it. If that Gravely did not exist, I would have purchased the Deere without a doubt.

/ Looking at a John Deere Z930M #8  
Thanks for the responses. I ended up with a Gravely Proturn 152. I really liked the John Deere but once I tested the Gravely I was smiling. I really liked it. I went to buy a Proturn 452 which is similar in size to the Deere 930z but I decided to try the 152 just to see. It fit me well and was a little bit smaller than the 452 and 930z but bigger than the Gravely 48z I own. I would definitely recommend the Deere though. Great machine and I have nothing bad to say about it. If that Gravely did not exist, I would have purchased the Deere without a doubt.
You're happy...we're happy!!