Looking at buying a dozer.

/ Looking at buying a dozer. #41  
I have a neighbor that just about beg'd me to let him bring down his Cat 320 excavator or dozer, to take some trees out for me level some ground. I bought an old Cat E70B excavator and decided to do it myself. I view it as playing. Worth every penny to do it yourself... why should I let him do my playing for me... Renting is OK as long as you don't break something, then they will stick you for big buck repairs even if you are not 100% responsible. That is when things usually go bad, when you loan or borrow or rent something.

/ Looking at buying a dozer. #42  
Provided you didn't break it, I thought the rental people brought out a new unit at no charge if their machine breaks down. You might even get some extra for the inconvenience.

/ Looking at buying a dozer. #43  
Last time I looked, I could hire a machine and an operator for a job at the same price I could rent just the machine. If I'm truly playing, then rental is ok, but if I want the job done, I'll hire the machine and operator. Also, I check to see how much time I need to rent a tool for before it becomes cheaper to buy the tool - it's not very long at all.

/ Looking at buying a dozer. #44  
I would seriously price out renting. Sometime the monthly rate is not bad at all. Around here monthly is about the same as a 2.5 week rental cost if paying weekly. The nice thing is you get a much larger and NEWER machine that will be far easier to run and normally in MUCH better condition. I do agree a track hoe is the way to go - even with my mini I can clear some big trees and do it fairly quickly. You start getting in to full size excavators you will clear your land in no time and be able to dig a nice big pit to burn the junk in and just fill it in when done.

/ Looking at buying a dozer. #45  
In this stoney ground, the first time I hired a good sized excavator, and I was hooked. It could dig a hole you could put a school bus into, in a few short minutes, and good bye pile of rocks and stones. I only ever worry about the landscaping.

I saw this a while ago. Makes not a lick of sense to me.Stump Removal with a John Deere 45C Dozer - YouTube

/ Looking at buying a dozer. #46  
In this stoney ground, the first time I hired a good sized excavator, and I was hooked. It could dig a hole you could put a school bus into, in a few short minutes, and good bye pile of rocks and stones. I only ever worry about the landscaping.

I saw this a while ago. Makes not a lick of sense to me.Stump Removal with a John Deere 45C Dozer - YouTube

Yep - have to agree - why not just pop it out of the hole with the backhoe he used to dig all around it??? Maybe the backhoe was a BX25 type?

/ Looking at buying a dozer. #47  
A 3" pine is not even a formidable undertaking. Maybe he got confused. 8 inch pine, three foot trench.

I do love those little old Deeres, but the more I see them working, the more I think, What the heck would I do with that? They are so very limited. A tracked loader opens up all kinds of possibilites.

The arguments about getting an operator for free when hiring a machine as opposed to renting, should be kept in mind for those thinking of going into that business. Your machine might be earning you money, but YOU aint gettin paid!

Last edited:
   / Looking at buying a dozer. #48  
Last time I looked, I could hire a machine and an operator for a job at the same price I could rent just the machine.
That reminded me of augering my sewer of some very fine roots every few years. I used the work machine twice until they no longer would let anyone borrow tools. I looked into a rental and it was cheaper (and easier on me) to hire a plumber. Another benefit was if the auger broke it was their problem to retrieve it.

/ Looking at buying a dozer. #49  
Last edited: