Looking at first tractor TYM 264

/ Looking at first tractor TYM 264 #1  

Toddxyz

Tractor
Have never operated a tractor. In process of getting my first one.
Looking to get my first tractor, something like an RK24 or TYM T264. Looked at RK first and found it was made by TYM so I went to a local dealer and checked out the T264. I do not want anything bigger, if I occasionally need bigger, I will hire out. I have my limitations for money, hauling, storage, etc. Doing mostly a lot of yard work. My yard is horrible, may even need to redo it from scratch, less than an acre and I can take all the time I want. But try to save what I got and maybe do dump and drag over a long time. Also have some small wooded areas that I need to partially clear. And the usual stuff like snow removal, stump removal, etc. Also, my property is fairly hilly so stability is desired. I will work slow and try and enjoy it as much as just getting stuff done.

My brother has a 40 HP or so Mahindra and brought it down and was amazed at what it could do, so looking to get one of my one. I just don't know about TYM. I have tried reading every where on the net, but just don't get that great a feeling about warrantee, parts, etc. as compared to big names. However the TYM is a lot cheaper than most anything at its given specs. From what I saw of the T264 at the dealer, it looked good, I mean I just really liked it. But its pushing 21K in TLB configuration while RK is only 18.5K in TLB with slightly lower specs.

So, I am really having difficult pulling the trigger on either of these 2 tractors. Its a lot of money and I hate the feeling of possible regret down the road.

Not even really sure what I am asking here, but just registered on this forum so thought I would at least start out with a post and if anybody cares to comment on it then great.

Actually, I did have one specific question on these tractors - can you operate the bucket and loader at the same time or do you have to complete one movement function and then do the other? Seems like it would be preferable to be able to do both.

/ Looking at first tractor TYM 264 #2  
Looking to get my first tractor, something like an RK24 or TYM T264. Looked at RK first and found it was made by TYM so I went to a local dealer and checked out the T264. I do not want anything bigger, if I occasionally need bigger, I will hire out. I have my limitations for money, hauling, storage, etc. Doing mostly a lot of yard work. My yard is horrible, may even need to redo it from scratch, less than an acre and I can take all the time I want. But try to save what I got and maybe do dump and drag over a long time. Also have some small wooded areas that I need to partially clear. And the usual stuff like snow removal, stump removal, etc. Also, my property is fairly hilly so stability is desired. I will work slow and try and enjoy it as much as just getting stuff done.

My brother has a 40 HP or so Mahindra and brought it down and was amazed at what it could do, so looking to get one of my one. I just don't know about TYM. I have tried reading every where on the net, but just don't get that great a feeling about warrantee, parts, etc. as compared to big names. However the TYM is a lot cheaper than most anything at its given specs. From what I saw of the T264 at the dealer, it looked good, I mean I just really liked it. But its pushing 21K in TLB configuration while RK is only 18.5K in TLB with slightly lower specs.

So, I am really having difficult pulling the trigger on either of these 2 tractors. Its a lot of money and I hate the feeling of possible regret down the road.

Not even really sure what I am asking here, but just registered on this forum so thought I would at least start out with a post and if anybody cares to comment on it then great.

Actually, I did have one specific question on these tractors - can you operate the bucket and loader at the same time or do you have to complete one movement function and then do the other? Seems like it would be preferable to be able to do both.

If your decision comes down to the TYM v/s RK it would seem that the TYM is a much safer bet.
TYM is a manufacturer, and will likely be around for a long while, RK is a big box retailer, that may, or may not, continue to be a tractor retailer for a long while.
Since these tractors are both built by the same manufacturer, a stable mfg. warranty, parts support, and brand depreciation are things you should also consider in your comparison.

I know nothing specifically about the Branson, but if I were in your situation, I would definitely compare a Branson to the TYM and RK tractors.
Branson may be slightly more expensive, but the Branson owners seem to have only good to say about their tractors!

Last edited:
   / Looking at first tractor TYM 264 #3  
Looking to buy my first tractor, something like an RK24 or TYM T264.
TYM264 is pushing 21K in TLB configuration while RK is only 18.5K in TLB with slightly lower specs.

A quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important for tractor neophytes. Most new tractors are delivered with a glitch or two requiring correction. My kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment after seven years. Dealer proximity is less important for those experienced with tractors and qualified to perform their own maintenance.

If TYM is close and RK more than fifteen miles distant favor the TYM dealer and TYM264.

I like RK and shop there occasionally but the slap-dash merchandising and out-of-stocks in the huge Gainesville, Florida store appall me. I have little confidence in RK's ability to order RK tractor parts correctly.

Last edited:
   / Looking at first tractor TYM 264 #4  
My brother has a 40 HP or so Mahindra and brought it down and was amazed at what it could do, so looking to get one of my one. I just don't know about TYM
Here's a news flash for you... TYM makes many of the Mahindra models...

Your brothers tractor may be a TYM with a Mahindra diesel in it... lol

Personally, I wouldn't be afraid of a TYM IF I was looking for that size/style tractor, as long as I had a TYM dealer who I liked.

SR

/ Looking at first tractor TYM 264 #5  
Outside of Kubota, Deere, Massey-Ferguson and perhaps Mahindra, compact tractor brands are regional brands, not national brands. Kubota and Deere between them sell around 70% of all compact tractors in the USA.

Add your LOCATION to your T-B-N PROFILE and your responses will be more valuable.

/ Looking at first tractor TYM 264
Thanks for all the input. Some points:

I add my location info in my profile.

RK is about 40 minutes away. TYM dealer is The Tractor Shop in South Webster Ohio, 1 hour away. I have neither the trailer or vehicle to haul a tractor but can always hit my brother up.

I am definitely interested in dealer support after the sale, but really don't have much of a way to gauge that. The TYM dealer seemed OK but who knows. It was not a very big outfit and don't know much about the history of the business.

I am aware of TYM history and them making tractors for other labels and that does give me some comfort over the RK. The TYM has split breaks, joystick loader control and a few hundred pounds better lift capacities and weighs 260 pounds more, but costs 2500 more. Although may be able to negotiate some with TYM but not RK.

The TYM has a wider wheel stance and there is nothing flat on my property so hopefully it would be a little more stable. Probably add spacers and liquid ballast on any tractor I get.

I am leaning toward the TYM but at 21K, I am really trying to think it through carefully.

/ Looking at first tractor TYM 264 #8  
Thanks for all the input. Some points:

I add my location info in my profile.

RK is about 40 minutes away. TYM dealer is The Tractor Shop in South Webster Ohio, 1 hour away. I have neither the trailer or vehicle to haul a tractor but can always hit my brother up.

I am definitely interested in dealer support after the sale, but really don't have much of a way to gauge that. The TYM dealer seemed OK but who knows. It was not a very big outfit and don't know much about the history of the business.

I am aware of TYM history and them making tractors for other labels and that does give me some comfort over the RK. The TYM has split breaks, joystick loader control and a few hundred pounds better lift capacities and weighs 260 pounds more, but costs 2500 more. Although may be able to negotiate some with TYM but not RK.

The TYM has a wider wheel stance and there is nothing flat on my property so hopefully it would be a little more stable. Probably add spacers and liquid ballast on any tractor I get.

I am leaning toward the TYM but at 21K, I am really trying to think it through carefully.

If your gut says TYM, then go with TYM!

/ Looking at first tractor TYM 264 #9  
The T264 is a mighty little giant I tell you. And the Kukje engine is a jewel.

/ Looking at first tractor TYM 264 #10  
I was originally set on buying a T264 drove one and liked it a lot, it was a cab model as I wanted one for snow removal. Was all ready to purchase and went and looked and drive it again on a 88 degree day, that changed my mind. I wanted a cab with AC now. So looked at the T394 cab model, much better for my intended uses and comfort, drove and operated that one and was set on that. Then I asked about the price difference to a T474, only a thousand more. Hmmm, more power and some more features.
Well 34k later they delivered the T474 HST cab model with 3rd function hydraulics, MK Martin SB75 inverted blower, Dirt Dog land plane grader and Dirt Dog 48" pallet forks.

Way more than I originally planned on spending but happy I did. I don't think I would have been able to do some of the jobs I've done so far with the T264. I like the T264 but just make sure it will do what you want and then some. My T474 has been great without a single issue so far.

Tim