Looking at MX5400 for my 80 Acres-good choice?

/ Looking at MX5400 for my 80 Acres-good choice?
If you do get a Mx, you may as well get a 6000 for a few thousand more dollars. 50 pto hp will make a difference on attachments you can operate.
exactly what I was just thinking.

/ Looking at MX5400 for my 80 Acres-good choice?
I have the MX5100 (order model) - great tractor but really too small for any real hay work. I use it in the woods and to brush hog (6') some farm fields and trails through the woods. It is great for that but where I work anything bigger than a 6' brush hog would be too large and may cause me some issues on the steep hills and off camber slopes.
General use you will like it, if you go into hay or want to mow large areas quickly (8' plus mower) then it is really too small in my opinion.
good info, thanks

/ Looking at MX5400 for my 80 Acres-good choice? #13  
Hello. looking at a tractor to put on the ranch. have 80 acres-relatively flat and rolling terrain. about half is pasture that I have someone cut and bail hay. Main uses for the tractor will be brush/grass cutting, moving fallen trees w bucket/grappler, some dirt and grading work and general purpose tasks around the ranch. Will the 5400 be enough tractor? I don't want to wish down the road I would have gone bigger. I may decide to get into the hail bailing business when retired but unlikely. thanks for the feedback!
I would look at the M6060 or M7060.
Gear machine is better for mowing and field work in my opinion. After you finish that grading/dirt work you will appreciate the M60 in the field. You could go batwing with the M60 series (10 maybe 12ft) and can move large rounds with it no problem.

/ Looking at MX5400 for my 80 Acres-good choice? #14  
~74hp/63pto and ~57hp/50pto. M4 runs my 9.5 disc no problem but I've got to shift down for any inclines, I'd rather have the juice maintain more ground speed.
Disc and hay are 2 different things. I don't even own a disc. I do no tillage and if I need a field fitted I hire it out to someone with big equipment.

You stated hay and switched to disc, so what it it?
You are 20 below me at the stub if that is what you are referring to.

/ Looking at MX5400 for my 80 Acres-good choice? #15  
Disc and hay are 2 different things. I don't even own a disc. I do no tillage and if I need a field fitted I hire it out to someone with big equipment.

You stated hay and switched to disc, so what it it?
You are 20 below me at the stub if that is what you are referring to.
Go home 5030, you’re drunk :ROFLMAO:

Disc mower. I pull this one on a stony point caddy.

/ Looking at MX5400 for my 80 Acres-good choice? #16  
Not really, that is a side mount and has no conditioning rolls either and sure as heck don't require much power to run either. Not

Haven't a clue what a stony point caddy is either... something I'd ever consider except for maybe ditch bank mowing.

Just looked at a new Kubota mower conditioner to replace my New Holland. Center point, 1000 rpm pto.

I have my new Kubota 4x5 round baler sitting at my dealer's presently. Traded in my NH 450 for it. He needs to come fetch my cab M9 and pull out the NH electronics and install the Kubota controls yet.

Did pretty good too. Got a 45 grand bailer for 10 grand with my trade in and Kubota kicked in an additional 5 grand ag discount and I got the 10 financed with Kubota Credit at 0 percent interest too.

You did the bait and switch, not me...

I don't consume alcohol btw.

/ Looking at MX5400 for my 80 Acres-good choice? #17  
I have 80 acres - mile long driveway - and snow in the winter. The 80 acres breaks down to 20 acres of water - 60 acres of dirt. I started with a brand new 1982 Ford 1700 4WD. It worked fine for 27 years.

Then in 2009 I went looking for a larger tractor so I could tackle larger projects. I went with a 2009 Kubota M6040. Didn't need the luxury of the "L" series. Wanted the lift capacity/frame size/weight of the "M" series. It's been a good choice. Couldn't be happier.

However - there is and will always be, those times when I wish for a little bigger or little smaller tractor. Nothing will be perfect ALL the time.

/ Looking at MX5400 for my 80 Acres-good choice? #18  
Id say the MX frame is a worthy contender if it wasnt for the potential haying. But you mentioned thats not likely. We can only guess at how unlikely it is....only you can answer it.

But the key biggest difference I see in your decision process is gonna be transmission choice. The MX is as big as you can go with a HST. So if that is a concern for doing all the other work....the next step up puts you into gears and shuttle of some type. But the MX is a great tractor for mowing and grapple work.
MX5400 would be my minimum level to work your property. Going bigger means doing your job a little quicker. How many hours you planning on spending on your tractor each month?
What state are you located?

I went from a L3301 to an MX5400 for abuse I put my tractor through going in and out my woods. I have 40 acres of woods with 45 acres total.
Made the exact same upgrade just a tad older. L3400>MX5100
The capabilities are night and day different. I do the exact same work with the MX that I did with the L3400. And would say there is really nothing that I do with the MX that I couldnt do with the L3400....the MX is just faster and maybe dont require cutting a log down quite as small before grappling and loading.

/ Looking at MX5400 for my 80 Acres-good choice? #19  
For utility work the MX is great but for farming activities I'd move up to the M. I love the HST for grading, grappling and bucket work. I went the biggest most powerful they had with the HST. I don't farm but rather bush hog and plow fire lines, remove trees and maintain 1/2 mile of roadway. My MX5800 does a great job. I got the BH 92 and was surprised just how handy that thing is.

I would also get the 6000. More power the better in my opinion. It's better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Last edited:
   / Looking at MX5400 for my 80 Acres-good choice? #20  
Id say the MX frame is a worthy contender if it wasnt for the potential haying. But you mentioned thats not likely. We can only guess at how unlikely it is....only you can answer it.

But the key biggest difference I see in your decision process is gonna be transmission choice. The MX is as big as you can go with a HST. So if that is a concern for doing all the other work....the next step up puts you into gears and shuttle of some type. But the MX is a great tractor for mowing and grapple work.

Made the exact same upgrade just a tad older. L3400>MX5100
The capabilities are night and day different. I do the exact same work with the MX that I did with the L3400. And would say there is really nothing that I do with the MX that I couldnt do with the L3400....the MX is just faster and maybe dont require cutting a log down quite as small before grappling and loading.
Obviously the Ms are a better choice for haying, but the MX6000 with 51 pto hp will handle a small baler.