Looking for a Duramax

/ Looking for a Duramax #21  
mikehaugen said:
I would like to own a diesel, so down get me wrong... I am not bashing them, but this is kind a blunt statement. I have a '03 impala with about 700 miles short of 200k. I replaced the spark plugs around 120k just for the heck of it, was about $50, never coil packs. '96 ram with 160k, replaced spark plugs and coil once just for the heck of it. I really don't see these are major arguments against gas engines. As far as built to last, I could replace the motor in the impala at 250k for under $3k (probably less, I really haven't check) but I don't see this motor having any major issues in the next 100k miles. What did it cost for "his second set of injectors?"

Again, not bashing diesels as I do really want one, but that to me is a weak argument against gas motors.

Not a dime for the first and it probably won't be a dime for the second. I have worked on plenty of gas and plenty of diesel. I have ran gas and diesel pickups. I have run diesel medium duty trucks and gutless gas medium duty trucks. The only gas heavy truck I have driven is my 5ton. It has a 602ci gas motor in it. It is a monster but it drinks like a fish. Changed plenty of coilpacks, timing belts, fuel injectors and all kinds of fun stuff. My work truck is a loaded down 2012 e350 that I know my 01 could roll on by on a hill with the same weight towing an additional trailer using less fuel. GM toted the 8.1L in medium duty trucks in flyers for a long time with everyone's anti diesel argument and boy I sure see a lot of those on the road LOL. I will agree that emissions diesels are not that great but I would own one after a lot of deleting. I don't see my 7.3 wearing out anytime soon though.

/ Looking for a Duramax #22  
GM's answer to diesel EPA regulations is partially in the dealerships now starting with the DI 5.3L HD 1500's with the trails ring package. 5.3 DI and 6.2 DI in the 2500/3500 coming soon.

/ Looking for a Duramax #23  
GM's answer to diesel EPA regulations is partially in the dealerships now starting with the DI 5.3L HD 1500's with the trails ring package. 5.3 DI and 6.2 DI in the 2500/3500 coming soon.

The new 5.3 max trailer is all I really need, but a diesel would be nice.

Finally, a 6.2l in the hd's. hope the mpg is better than the 6.0.

Last edited:
   / Looking for a Duramax #24  
The new 5.3 max trailer is all I really need, but a diesel would be nice.

Finally, a 6.2l in the hd's. hope the mpg is better than the 6.0.

It is...My 6.2 gets average of 16mpg in 50/50 highway and county road driving and I have a very heavy foot. I can get 20 on the highway driving like an adult, which I rarely do--not easy resisting the temptation..The mileage on a 2500/3500 shouldn't vary much with the DI and other MPG stuff they are throwing at them...Guys I know with the 6.0 love them for grunt, but they drink a lot.

/ Looking for a Duramax #25  
It is...My 6.2 gets average of 16mpg in 50/50 highway and county road driving and I have a very heavy foot. I can get 20 on the highway driving like an adult, which I rarely do--not easy resisting the temptation..The mileage on a 2500/3500 shouldn't vary much with the DI and other MPG stuff they are throwing at them...Guys I know with the 6.0 love them for grunt, but they drink a lot.

Thanks! What gear ratio do you have? Will be getting a nee GMC in 3 years, gotta start hoarding a down payment!!

/ Looking for a Duramax #26  
Thanks! What gear ratio do you have? Will be getting a nee GMC in 3 years, gotta start hoarding a down payment!!

I have 3:42..Would prefer 3:73 but the truck was killing the dealer on floor plan so I got a really good deal...The 6 speed makes up for the higher gears..The hauling/launch is much better than my last 3:73 5.3 (04 GMC, think it was a 4sp w/od, don't remember).

Thankfully I have a locker in it and torque control or the back tires wouldn't last 2,000 miles :D---This thing is an absolute blast to drive every day--A 2011 with 50k already.

/ Looking for a Duramax #27  
I have 3:42..Would prefer 3:73 but the truck was killing the dealer on floor plan so I got a really good deal...The 6 speed makes up for the higher gears..The hauling/launch is much better than my last 3:73 5.3 (04 GMC, think it was a 4sp w/od, don't remember).

Thankfully I have a locker in it and torque control or the back tires wouldn't last 2,000 miles :D---This thing is an absolute blast to drive every day--A 2011 with 50k already.

Thank you!! I have an 04, 5.3l, 3:73, next truck will have the max trailer package, 3:73 gears are my biggest priority.

I live the new 5.3l numbers, wonder if the 6.2 will he hd only?

/ Looking for a Duramax #28  
Thank you!! I have an 04, 5.3l, 3:73, next truck will have the max trailer package, 3:73 gears are my biggest priority.

I live the new 5.3l numbers, wonder if the 6.2 will he hd only?

My understanding is it will be more available than it is now but info is kinda hard to come by...Won't be available until later this year from what I hear.

Anyway, if you go from a 5.3 to a 6.2, you will be impressed!! And I loved my 5.3. If I wouldn't have test driven the truck I bought, I'd have bought another 5.3---The interstate ramp test sealed the deal....The 5.3's will be much improved from what I see.

I'm looking (lightly) as well..Having impure thoughts about a Denali and the wife isn't talking me down from the ledge either--Not sure that I want awd all the time though..I have a choice now, I like that better...The '14's might be different, who knows.

/ Looking for a Duramax #29  
I heard the new 5.3 is not that impressive.

/ Looking for a Duramax #30  
I heard the new 5.3 is not that impressive.

Heard from where?..The '04 I had was impressive for my uses and it wasn't anywhere near what is out there now. And that is based on a pulling 9000# TT with 5.7 a std cab SB's that were probably massively overlimit. The 5.7's did a fine job, but not as good as the 5.3. Dunno what my 6.2 would do as we have a MH (for now). I only pull 6,000-7,000 on my car trailer at the moment. We are looking at TT's to replace the MH...Time will tell.