Looking for a log splitter

/ Looking for a log splitter #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
I want something towable and gas powered. I’d like to split the wood where the tree falls. I don’t think I’d use more than 2 or 3 cords a year, but I want something that can handle larger rounds and not get twisted up trying. Reading older threads here people mention vertical splitting, I’m for that!

I haven’t been here much lately, I hope everyone is well.

/ Looking for a log splitter #2  
2-3 cords a year I would just look at what your local big box stores offer. Most will do vertical. You could also check the used market but in my area this type of this dosnt loose value much.

/ Looking for a log splitter #3  
I got lucky and bought this used about a year ago for $800. It was lightly used and goes both horizontal and vertical. I prefer horizontal but for large rounds I go vertical. In the picture I sit on the large round to split. The axe is if you get one split but it won’t come apart all the way. From what I’ve seen a splitter like this will go for $1300 to $1500 now.
IMG_1804.jpeg

/ Looking for a log splitter #4  
if you'll be toting the thing around, highly suggest foam filling the tires. if on the hwy, be sure & get a spare tire & tell the foam guy the tires must be rated hwy use.

btw i much prefer to transport my splitter on a trailer on the open road, not towing the unit. if you have a breakdown & have to abandon it on road, it will soon disappear. good luck

Last edited:
   / Looking for a log splitter #5  
Don't know what your budget is, but this is the one in my signature: RuggedSplit 737-30-RE Log Splitter: 37-Ton, Raven 420cc, Log Lift, 30" Stroke

Other than putting it together (Which was a bit of a pain, but easy enough with a buddy and a couple of nights after work)
It's more expensive than a box store splitter, but runs circles around them. I have the interchangeable 4 way and 6 way wedge for it. The log lift has saved my back numerous times and I've yet to find something it won't go through.

Good luck!

/ Looking for a log splitter #6  
Vertical is nice for the big rounds but it is hard on my back bending over like that. I much prefer standing up splitting. Check FB marketplace, seeing used prices coming back down to normalish up in my area. SE Tennessee.

/ Looking for a log splitter
I got lucky and bought this used about a year ago for $800. It was lightly used and goes both horizontal and vertical. I prefer horizontal but for large rounds I go vertical. In the picture I sit on the large round to split. The axe is if you get one split but it won’t come apart all the way. From what I’ve seen a splitter like this will go for $1300 to $1500 now.
View attachment 820621
What make is it?

/ Looking for a log splitter #8  
I've had a 27 ton Troy Bilt log splitter that I bought from Lowes for well over a decade now. In my opinion, the most important thing to look for in a log splitter is the engine. Honda makes the very best small engine, and all the other brands try to compare to how close they are to Honda, but none are as good. My log splitter starts every time I need to use it. It runs all day, and it's trouble free. Other brands work well when new, but quickly become difficult to start, or keep running.

27 tons has proven to be enough for anything I put on it. I can split anything I can pick up, but I try to keep my rounds in the 12 to 20 inch range. Some are bigger, but it's getting harder and harder to pick up that much oak as I get older. I only use the tilt function when I get a round that is just too heave to pick up. I hate splitting them that way, it's just a lot more work and effort.

I added plywood tables to either side of my splitter, so nothing falls off of it, and when I split a round in half, I can usually keep that half on the plywood, and work on the other half. The fewer times I have to bend over to pick something up, the better!!!

One tank of gas in the splitter will fill up the bed in my Kawasaki Mule. I like to run the engine until it runs out of gas. I normally only split one load per day. Then I still have plenty of energy to do other things. A full day of splitting and stacking wood will wear me out for the next day.

Lowes doesn't sell Troy Bilt splitters anymore. They have Craftsman, but I wouldn't spend any money on that brand. Used to be good, but now it's really bad. I think Northern Tool has some log splitters with Honda engines. I don't think the hydraulics or the rest of the splitter is that different from one brand to another. The only thing that matters is the Honda engine.

/ Looking for a log splitter #9  
What are you going to be splitting?

I have Live Oak. It's one of hardest wood in North America. I went with a 37 ton Northern Tool splitter and I've been happy.

The price jump from ~25/27 ton to ~35/37 ton is a pretty big price jump. 4" piston on the ~25 ton to a 5" piston on the ~35 ton. ($2400 vs $1400)

I have a power washer with a Honda engine and my splitter has a Kohlar engine. Honestly, the Kohler is easier to start when it's been sitting awhile but I've had no issues with either. They both have been very reliable over the past 3 years. I only run non-ethanol gas in them since I know they will have long periods of no use.

If you are going not going to be splitting live oak or equivalent, save some money and go with a 25 ton. Oak is not all the same. Check specs - all other non "live oak" is considerably less dense and can be handled with the 25 ton version. I also have some pin oak and post oak and, while they make great firewood, they are much easier to split.

Check cycle speed and if the handle locks in the in or out position while the piston resets.

Last edited:
   / Looking for a log splitter #10  
I bought a old DUERR splitter (made by MDT in the late 90's) that had blown Briggs & Stratton motor, replaced motor with cheap Harbor Freight Predator because it was cheaper to buy new motor than try to get parts for the B&S, long story quite short (here).... Almost any wheeled splitter can be towed to anyplace you can take tractor, I prefer horizontal splitting for most smaller stuff I can lift into splitter BECAUSE, I have found with vertical splitting large rounds the actual splitter has a seemingly stability problem.... It "seems" to want to topple sideways (never actually has yet) unless still hooked to vehicle for stability... So on really large rounds I bring them out to splitter (with tractor) to where I can leave splitter coupled to JEEP for stability, and no there are areas on my property it is not convenient to take Jeep into to use splitter vertically.... Other's results/opinion in vertical splitting may vary. .. But I am not a real fan of that, I just do it if rounds (12-24 inches diameter or more ) are to big to handle horizontal splitting... I have even found if rounds are bigger than I can handle "ripping" them with chainsaw is a option.... Sometimes half a round is easier to handle and ls less strain on splitter...

Last edited: