Looking for a used 3 pt. tiller

/ Looking for a used 3 pt. tiller #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
I don't need a tiller often enough to justify buying new.

Have seen several ads but of course, the good ones are more $$ than I want to pay while of course the beat up, rusty ones are easily in my price range. Have also learned that the Agrator brand is out of business and no parts are available. Several of those are for sale.

What do you know about the Ortolan brand? There's one for sale that looks good, but it's pretty far away & I don't want to go on a wild goose chase.

What are the good brands and the lousy ones?

/ Looking for a used 3 pt. tiller #2  
You need to buy the tiller in the fall or winter. It is close to spring now and every tiller picked up at least 500 dollars in price. Used that is. Competition for a good used one will be great. Howard makes a pretty sturdy unit. In Michigan they are used to till under Christmas tree stumps. I rebuilt a John Deere and of course they had all the parts. KingKutter and others offer gear drives which gets you away from the chains which have broken for me in the past. Many are made in Italy and parts support may be lacking. Good luck and if you put in enough gardens you will not need your own.

/ Looking for a used 3 pt. tiller #3  
You need to buy the tiller in the fall or winter. <snip>
I disagree - You need to buy the tiller when it's available cheap.

Keep a list of prices for the better models so you can jump on a Craigs list deal. I couldn't afford a King Kutter 5' tiller until I found a barely used one for $800 last May. They don't turn up often but they do turn up.