Looking for best cordless drill to purchase

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #81  
Ryobi, most cost effective, IMO. I have the 18V impact driver - like others have said, it drives 3" screws easily using one hand with no stripping. I also have a host of 18 volt Ryobi tools, none of which have failed me.

Never really gave Ryobi much thought until about a year ago when someone gave me a circular saw & rotozip, but no batteries. That's when I discovered that the current batteries fit the older stuff...a big plus in my eyes. So many other brands seem to change battery design to make old and new incompatible. Haven't used them enough to know how well they stand up, but I'd certainly lean in that direction if I ever needed another cordless tool, just to keep the number of chargers/batteries to a minimum.

I've got a Rigid cordless that's my "go to" drill...good drill, but battery life is pathetic. Luckily, the charger is fast...by the time I've drained one battery, the other is ready to go. Had a Makita once, wasn't real impressed...kind of a wimpy drill...I'm sure they've improved since...this was quite a few years ago.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #83  
Big Makita/Bosch fan here also. Only Milwaukee I own is a big sawzall . Right now all corded stuff for me . I know some have stated great service from Ryobi products but I've had not so good experiences with them. When I need cordless I attack my oldest son's arsenal, for years as his Dad he was using mine. Payback time from seeds planted long ago. :D Just my :2cents:

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #84  
Big Makita/Bosch fan here also. Only Milwaukee I own is a big sawzall

One of my brothers had a Milwaukee sawzall and they are definitely a fine tool. But I have the cheaper Makita JR3000VT and I like it just as well. Of course it cost less than a hundred dollars 10 years ago at Lowe's.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #85  
You can still get a new Makita corded recip saw for under a hundred. The JR3050T

I have an old JR3000V with steel tool case. The pin to lock the variable speed trigger on broke so cant lock on anymore. No big deal not worth getting a new switch yet.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #86  
I worked 22 years in engineering at B&D I had direct contact with the testing of power tools. Not much difference between any of them, some cut faster others had better control virtually all did the job. The only thing that was funny to us was how someone would spend $20 on a drill and complain that it did not hold up like the $150 drill their cousin had.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #87  
You can still get a new Makita corded recip saw for under a hundred. The JR3050T

I have an old JR3000V with steel tool case. The pin to lock the variable speed trigger on broke so cant lock on anymore. No big deal not worth getting a new switch yet.

Amazon shows a higher "retail" but otherwise, about the same price I paid, and even though it's a slightly different model number they sure look alike. Actually, mine cost me $95.68 on 7/18/03, but that included sales tax.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #88  
The new one is 11 amp too! The one I have is only 6amp.

If I remember correctly right around $125 was about the going price back when I needed one and $99 on special :confused:

And I remember using it to cut the steel spokes out to free up the hub on a Harley wheel that had a dented rim back when I fixed up that 76 that was in 1990 I believe, and before I bought my '92

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #89  
I worked 22 years in engineering at B&D I had direct contact with the testing of power tools. Not much difference between any of them, some cut faster others had better control virtually all did the job. The only thing that was funny to us was how someone would spend $20 on a drill and complain that it did not hold up like the $150 drill their cousin had.

Not sure how to ask this nicely, but I am truly curious about why B&D went from a very good quality tool, to a cheep entry level, through away brand sold at Walmart? Is it a profit driven decision to sell a lot of items at a low price compared to selling a quality tool for a higher price that will last?

Everyone I know who has an old B&D drill loves them. They never wear out with tons of power.

Eddie

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #90  
B&D in the early seventies made some of the cheapest and some of the best power tools. Problem was people would buy the cheap stuff and it would burn up or just tear apart after 40 hours or so. That gave them a bad name for all the lines even the commercial lines. Several schemes were tried but none took hold because "Black and Decker make cheap tools" A VP by the name of Joe Gali came up with an idea that worked 'DeWalt' the company already owned the name from buying the DeWalt radial arm saws years before. Part of the plan was to separate DeWalt from B&D so a bogus address was created for the headquarters and claims were made that the units were made in the United States. A great warranty and return policy made it a hit. Nolan Archabald the CEO and self proclaimed king of Black and Decker fired Joe Gali, officially Joe resigned. As the years past Nolan closed the US plants and DeWalt was being made in Mexico and China the little "made in USA" and the flag quietly disappeared from the box. B&D was sold to Stanley. The DeWalt line is the commercial line of Black and Decker. Black and Decker also owned Porter Cable among others. Our Brands | Stanley Black & Decker The B&D line is the consumer line best avoid this line if you are a contractor or even a serious do it yourselfer.