looking for core aerator or non aerator

/ looking for core aerator or non aerator #1  

subzero

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 HST
where in Canada (Alberta) would I find a 3 pth one these (aerator), I would want a heavy duty commericial style one.. which is better core or non core

/ looking for core aerator or non aerator #2  
If you mean which is better a core aerator or a spike aerator get the core one hands down.

/ looking for core aerator or non aerator #3  
Not sure where you are going to be able to get one.
Definately get a plugger, spiking causes as much compaction as it relieves but it does allow water/air/fert penetration. A spiker would be ok if the soil was a type that isnt clay like, but a 4 to 6 inch plug pulled out without compacting the surrounding soil is the way to go.

/ looking for core aerator or non aerator #4  
I don't know where you would find one in your area, but the type depends on the type of area you want to aerify. Core areators are generally used on turf areas such as golf course and sports fields while pasture aerifiers use blades or knives to releive compaction. The blades are mounted on angles to the axle and shatter and move the soil sideways under the surface. Aerway AerWay Home Page has a good one. There are are a number of manufacturers of core aerators Landpride being one Land Pride All-Flex Grooming Mowers.
As Silverking says solid tines will actually compact soil so in many applications coring tines are better. A good machine will have replaceable tines and you can choose between coring, solid or slicing tines.
Also if you are using it on a pasture check out pasture renovators, Monroe has a nice one. Well Built, Performance Driven - Monroe Tufline

/ looking for core aerator or non aerator #6  
pasture aerifiers use blades or knives

Since, I'm back in town without a tractor, last year a neighbor and I rented a core aerator to use on both our lawns. But then later last year, I bought a Mantis tiller and a number of attachments, including their lawn aerator which uses the blades or knives and I used that on my lawn early this Spring. I think it did pretty well, although I'd agree with those who say the core aerator is the best.