Looking for front blade to plate attach ideas/designs

/ Looking for front blade to plate attach ideas/designs #1  

W8BYA

Silver Member
Tractor
NH Boomer 40
Hello group. I recently purchased a 3/8" skid-steer quick attach plate for my NH-45 Boomer FEL and would like to fabricate a HD mount to allow me to attach a nice ole 7' rear blade to it. The 7' rear blade mounting was damaged beyond repair but I was able to save the blade itself nicely. My plans are to use it in the winter time for snow. I would like to have a pair of springs in case the blade gets caught up on something. Manual angle adjust would be just fine for me since I do not have a 3rd function kit. Heck, I would even consider a straight attach and no angle adjust.

Are there and prior posts that can help me put a design together? Everything I have seen on YT has started with a used 4x4 truck plow where the person was able to use a lot of the existing mounting which I do not have. I would be starting from scratch. I can stick weld. TIA.

/ Looking for front blade to plate attach ideas/designs #2  
It may be easier to find an old truck plow;7' is really not wide enough for your tractor.I was a welder/fabricator by trade and wouldn't try to fab an old rear blade.
I.E. build it as short as possible.Mine works but is a little long(old truck plow($150.00).

/ Looking for front blade to plate attach ideas/designs #3  
am I understanding that you want to use the 7 ft rear blade as a FRONT blade ?

thinking out of the box, you might have the skills to cut the blade in half top to bottom, and then make it a V blade (I always wanted one of those) - you might also need to add some length though

lots of fun with old metal and some creativity and skills :)

/ Looking for front blade to plate attach ideas/designs
It may be easier to find an old truck plow;7' is really not wide enough for your tractor.I was a welder/fabricator by trade and wouldn't try to fab an old rear blade.
I.E. build it as short as possible.Mine works but is a little long(old truck plow($150.00).
Thanks for the advice. Means a lot coming from a veteran welder. I know a lot of folks are able to find these wonderful deals on old 4x4 blades w/mounts but I have not been able to score one around here. Seems prices are way,way higher, for even junk which is why I wanted to try to use what I have.

am I understanding that you want to use the 7 ft rear blade as a FRONT blade ?

thinking out of the box, you might have the skills to cut the blade in half top to bottom, and then make it a V blade (I always wanted one of those) - you might also need to add some length though

lots of fun with old metal and some creativity and skills :)
Yes you are right, I found a YT video of my blade. It turns out it is an old MF Model-16, 3-point rear blade. Built like a tank ! I mean I bought it used 25 years ago and I worked it super hard. It held up very well until one day while cruising too fast and with the rear blade a little too low it caught a hidden stump near one end. The resulting torque on the central mount (which is hard to explain & near impossible to get to to repair) was ripped apart and I had no way to bend things back and re-weld things. Thus I separated the 3-point from the blade and would like to re-purpose it.

/ Looking for front blade to plate attach ideas/designs #6  
I have taken an old rear blade and welded it's 3pt mount to a QA plate. I also welded a 2-5/16" hitch ball to the top and use it as a gooseneck trailer mover.

If you have damaged the 3pt mount, basically you will have to fabricate a replacement.

Ken

/ Looking for front blade to plate attach ideas/designs #7  
Yes you are right, I found a YT video of my blade. It turns out it is an old MF Model-16, 3-point rear blade. Built like a tank ! I mean I bought it used 25 years ago and I worked it super hard. It held up very well until one day while cruising too fast and with the rear blade a little too low it caught a hidden stump near one end. The resulting torque on the central mount (which is hard to explain & near impossible to get to to repair) was ripped apart and I had no way to bend things back and re-weld things. Thus I separated the 3-point from the blade and would like to re-purpose it.
I can believe that, too bad that happened. Re-purposing is good.

I have taken an old rear blade and welded it's 3pt mount to a QA plate. I also welded a 2-5/16" hitch ball to the top and use it as a gooseneck trailer mover.

If you have damaged the 3pt mount, basically you will have to fabricate a replacement.

Ken
Hi Ken. The 3-point is just fine. What got AFU was the attachment of the blade to the end of that 3-point. I have plans for the 3-point itself since it is very HD and in fine shape.
The other issue is I would like springs to allow the blade to tilt forward in the event the blade catches something hard while pushing snow. I figure someone has had to have done this before, just trying to get some plans or visualization of how to do it. I'm an electrical guy with poor mechanical engineering/design skills......i.e., I need help coming up with some mechanical solutions.

Ken
Appreciate the idea and I am sorry I did not make it more clear but the blade is now separated from the 3-point mount. The 3-point itself is 100% fine. The blade itself is 100% fine. It was the original mounting of the blade to the end of the 3-point mount that got all dorked up. The metal fabrication and the way the two were attached is very unique and not at all easy (or possible) to get to in order to fix. Thick, curved metal was ripped and tore apart and I had no way to re-bend and re-weld things back together. I thus decided it was time to separate the two and re-purpose the actual 3-point mount and the blade itself. I do not want to use a 3-point system with the QA plate......just the QA plate, some springs, and some custom metal work to attach the blade to that QA. Again, sorry if I was not too clear at first.

/ Looking for front blade to plate attach ideas/designs #10  
I like the small v plow idea.