Looking for ideas on how to build the best low to no maintenance deck

/ Looking for ideas on how to build the best low to no maintenance deck #21  
Previous owners rebuilt it and all wood was milled on site... cedar and Douglas fir.

[/QUOTE]
This is the key statement, it is unlikely that either the fir or cedar were old growth, both were likely milled into boards that contained a mix of heart and sap wood. Douglas fir is not really known for decay resistance, the heart wood is a bit better than the sapwood but still should not be used for exposed applications. Damp fir is also a favorite food for carpenter ants. Cedar will fair better but only the heart wood, the sap wood will rot in just a few years.
Rebuild the framing with PT or other decay resistant material and deck it with tree or similar. Please note, composite needs to be applied according to th manufacturer specs. It will swell from absorbing moisture, not as much as wood but enough to buckle if installed tight.

/ Looking for ideas on how to build the best low to no maintenance deck #22  
Low to no maintenance? Go with a designed concrete deck.

/ Looking for ideas on how to build the best low to no maintenance deck
It would be elevated about 12' towards the rear....

/ Looking for ideas on how to build the best low to no maintenance deck #24  
There is another cedar that is MUCH better than western red cedar for decks. It is Port Orford cedar, native to SW Oregon
and far NW California. It is blonde, much denser and stronger than other cedars, and very rot resistant. It was extremely popular with ship builders on the west coast, for good reason. I recently built a 28'x 18' deck with it here in SW Washington. I used CAMO screws, so no fasteners are visible topside. The framework is PT, 16" centers, with 6x6 posts set on poured footings. We used a UV resistant light stain, and just have to clean the surface (light rotary pressure wash) and re-apply with a pad every 3-5 years. So far (2 years) we are extremely pleased with it- I did the railings out of anodized aluminum- pretty much maintenance free.
There is a sawmill in Riddle, OR that is the biggest producer of PO cedar. In the Portland/Vancouver area, Rick's Fencing is the main dealer for it. Great outfit (I ended up getting the aluminum rail system from them too, and installed it myself)

As an aside, our last deck was sun wood (pt hemlock) over pt framing, and lasted over 25 years with my annual use of Chevron shingle and fence oil ( a very good product for western red cedar, too). I actually salvaged over 90% of the decking and timbers for use on other less-visible projects around the place.

I'm thinking the Doug Fir framing is the weak link...

What type of camo system did you use for the planks?

/ Looking for ideas on how to build the best low to no maintenance deck #26  
   / Looking for ideas on how to build the best low to no maintenance deck #27  
I had the same problem, a second story, 1000sq ft redwood deck went south and started rotting away. I replaced it with frost proof, outdoor porcelain tile. If you are interested, I'll get some pics. Kind of pricey, but should last 25 to 30 years if maintained well.

/ Looking for ideas on how to build the best low to no maintenance deck #28  
   / Looking for ideas on how to build the best low to no maintenance deck #29  
I'm thinking the Doug Fir framing is the weak link... What type of camo system did you use for the planks?

CAMO is the brand name, available all over. They use a jig that looks like a staple gun, to grip and space the 2x6, as well as guide the screw in diagonally through the side. They self-drill, and can be backed out easily if necessary. The only place you can't use them is on the wall side of the deck edge plank, so you do widely spaced small-head surface screws there. Stop by Rick's in Vancouver- they have them along with all the decking and sealers they sell, on display in demo decks.

Thanks for the lead... will need to do that on my next visit North.

Didn't realize Camo is a brand... learn something everyday here on TBN