Looking for new Windows 11 laptop with a deep SD card slot

/ Looking for new Windows 11 laptop with a deep SD card slot #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
Like the title says. One of the more important features to me is a full size SD card slot that I can put a SD card in, ideally so it is flush.
I like to backup to SD cards.
Other features -
~ 15" screen
8GB RAM, preferably more
Bluetooth
Good wireless chip

I had one years ago, my present one (Dell 15 3000) An SD card sticks out for most of it's length.
Any recommendations from TBN'ers?
No gaming features required

/ Looking for new Windows 11 laptop with a deep SD card slot #2  
Good luck. Seems like the industry is moving away from ports and conveniences.

Apple has eliminated all aux ports, charging ports, and reduced the number of USB ports. They are also pushing to turn the operating systems into iPhones where you can't do anything except view a tiny window of text on a giant screen with blanks spaces all around.

/ Looking for new Windows 11 laptop with a deep SD card slot #3  
I got a mini-PC a couple of months ago. It came with Windows 11 Pro installed. It has four USB 3.0 slots, three display ports (USB-C, HDMI and DP). The USB-C port can also be used for an external drive or an expansion port for additional USB 3.1 devices if not used for a display. I use external SSD disk drives for File History and System Backup. I only plug them in when I use them. It came with one internal SSD disk drive, and I added another. The SSDs are about 5-10 times faster than typical Thumb Drives. The mini-PC can mount to the back of the display so the display(s) can be any size you care to use. I have a DP to HDMI adapter so I can use my TV as an additional display when I'm working on projects.

Oh yeah, this one is FAST too. 4.2Ghz at full boost.

Mini-2.jpg

Mini.jpg

/ Looking for new Windows 11 laptop with a deep SD card slot #4  
Just make sure the laptop has USB 4 ports for high speed USB (40 GB/sec) and use an adaptor to a full size SD card.
That will help to make your laptop useful for as long as possible. If you look for a laptop with an SD card you will get something older.
8 GB for Win 11 is not much as Windows is a huge resource hog just to run itself, let alone manage anything else.
Mike
PS. Those mini-PCs that Tinhack suggested are quite good. The fast USB 3.x is good.

/ Looking for new Windows 11 laptop with a deep SD card slot #5  
I have a three year old Apple. 128 Gb of Ram and 2 TB onboard storage. I take and store LOTS of pictures. I've gone to SSI offboard storage. I've tried the Cloud and DO NOT like that feature.

/ Looking for new Windows 11 laptop with a deep SD card slot #6  
Yeah. Lotsa luck finding one with an ethernet jack on it anymore. Also, many have very limited ability to power an external device with much more draw than a flash drive. A colleague of mine had to use a powered hub to be able to use some specialty device on his laptop (I think it was a spectrum analyzer).
I got a mini-PC a couple of months ago. It came with Windows 11 Pro installed. It has four USB 3.0 slots, three display ports (USB-C, HDMI and DP). The USB-C port can also be used for an external drive or an expansion port for additional USB 3.1 devices if not used for a display.
No VGA?

/ Looking for new Windows 11 laptop with a deep SD card slot #7  
Lenovo, not one of the cheap ones you can get a Best Buy, go to their site and get one of the higher end model work stations. Be warned, they are not cheap.

Here is an image of the SD slot with a card in it. I think that's as "flush" as you're ever going to get.

Attachments

• SD-slot-2.jpg
    SD-slot-2.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 63
   / Looking for new Windows 11 laptop with a deep SD card slot #8  
Ever changing form factors and smaller must be better. You might wish to switch to a NAS instead of individual SD cards. Then any device can use the storage.

/ Looking for new Windows 11 laptop with a deep SD card slot #9  
Since you are already investing in a new laptop, it might be a good time to switch to an external solid state drive with a usb-c connection. The difference in backup speed is night and day.

/ Looking for new Windows 11 laptop with a deep SD card slot #10  

Apple has eliminated all aux ports, charging ports, and reduced the number of USB ports. They are also pushing to turn the operating systems into iPhones where you can't do anything except view a tiny window of text on a giant screen with blanks spaces all around.
I don't think so. I have the latest MacBook Pro and it has MagSafe, SD Card, 3 Thunderbolt3/USB3.1, earphone, and HDMI.

Years ago they had eliminated quite a few things but their newer models they put it back in.

As for a recommendation, There are good models out there of about every brand. Find the OS you like and then choose.