Tires Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
Any practical tips for removing a loaded rear wheel off a L4760 with R1 tires?

Im concerned the tread lugs will make the rolling of it out of the way be very wobbly and prone to falling.

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #2  
Will this be on flat concrete or dirt. What type of equipment do you have to assist with moving or will this all be done by hand?

I doubt the lugs will cause much wobble but if it starts to tip very much you will not be able to hold it by hand.

Many years ago 2 of us removed loaded 15.5 - 38 tires from our tractor on gravel drive. Rolling wasn’t as much of a concern as balance.

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #3  
So long as the tire and rim stay vertical there won't be an issue. However, it it starts to lean over, get the heck out of the way FAST because if it falls on your foot or shin / leg, it can very well break it or cause you much unneeded pain I never fool with mine and they aren't loaded because I don't believe in loading a tire. I prefer cast centers myself and cast centers make the rim and wheel removal a dangerous job. I leave that to my farm tire guy with his truck mounted cherry picker. Some things are best left to those who know what they are doing and have the correct tools.

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #4  
One possibility: get the kit to empty and store the juice while you’re moving the tire, then put it back in when you’re done.
BTW, I have no experience doing this…

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #5  
Best is to do it with two people. Usually even with a loaded tire that size two guys can keep the thing upright and avoid tip over. Slopes matter too as they are hard to control on any sort of hill side area. Recently I had a case involving a badly bent wheel needing removal. Jacks will work of course but being a front wheel I used the FEL to lift the front end and placed jackstands under the axle with the tire barely clearing the floor. Then took the lugs loose with an air wrench and 2 of us rolled it onto a trailer (using a slight downhill to the trailer.) This worked great for transport to a tire shop for tire and wheel surgery. This particular tire/wheel were 11.2x24, not loaded, and still too heavy for two guys to lift other than momentarily. I did notice the R1 tread made for a wobbly transit to the trailer. I had plans to use a much smaller tractor with a FEL and chain to hoist the tire/wheel back into place (which I certainly would have had it been a larger rear one) but we were able to get it back on by hand with 2 of us and a pry bar to lift it off the ground just enough to engage the studs.

Your 14.9x24 R1 tires loaded will be way too heavy to handle manually. You can probably use the same methods we did but need another machine (like something with a FEL) to help suspend it , especially for remounting. Actually that would be a good chore for a pig pole and small chain or good rope on a second tractor of almost any size. I recommend getting the tractor where there is lots of room around it to operate and then using a pig pole.

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #6  
Just keep it balanced and have a place to put it. I take off skidder wheels alone and they are pretty big. Tractor wheels no problem.

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #7  
Any practical tips for removing a loaded rear wheel off a L4760 with R1 tires?

Im concerned the tread lugs will make the rolling of it out of the way be very wobbly and prone to falling.
Don't even think of trying to handle it by hand.

The only way I would do that is with a cherry picker that is rated for the total weigh of the tire or a FEL. I'd use a lifting strap rated for the weight and pick it up that way. A good set of forks might be another way to do it.

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #8  
I took off a loaded rear by having the tractor close to my garage wall. Once off the tractor it was close to something to lean it on. In reality though, It's really a two person job.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #9  
I swap loaded rear turf tires on and off the L6060 seasonally by myself fairly easily. as long as you just jack the tractor up enough to barely take weight off the lugs its not hard to walk the tire on and off without doing any damage or being at risk of it tiping. You can let some air out to allow the tread to flatten out if you're worried about it falling over but ive never had problems keeping them upright and im not a particularly big person.

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #10  
I swap loaded rear turf tires on and off the L6060 seasonally by myself fairly easily. as long as you just jack the tractor up enough to barely take weight off the lugs its not hard to walk the tire on and off without doing any damage or being at risk of it tiping. You can let some air out to allow the tread to flatten out if you're worried about it falling over but ive never had problems keeping them upright and im not a particularly big person.
Wow. Loaded turf tires are fat and a lot heavier than his R1s. They are however probably much less likely to tilt left/right being so fat and having a wide area in contact with the ground. Interesting report of your experience.