Looking for user experience / info with the Deere 5205

/ Looking for user experience / info with the Deere 5205 #1  

Spring1898

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota G1900
Greetings all,
Would like to hear from some of the owners of the 5205 (small) Utility tractor.
It seems like a perfect fit for my present plans for the future small farm (irony intended). It is only a little bigger than some larger compacts, but seems to have the horsepower and girth to run some larger implements which would be harder on a compact like a small square baler.

Not too much info out there on them outside of what I have been able to glean from the TractorData website and a few forum posts.

Any major issues? I have heard some lines travelling on the frame are a bit exposed underneath.
Biggest Deere I have dealt with were their diesel Garden tractors.

/ Looking for user experience / info with the Deere 5205 #3  
Have you read all five of the Similar Threads listed towards the bottom of this page?

/ Looking for user experience / info with the Deere 5205
Yeah, like I mentioned there really isn't a whole lot of good info on them besides "it worked great" "tough beast" which is nice and positive but doesn't tell you much about long term use in the thousands of hours when things start to break and need repair, at least not compared to a lot of other models out there where there are tons of data on them. Not that it surprises me, it would not have been as high a volume of a tractor given its sizing. Its a lot of tractor in a small package, but it is a small no frills package.

/ Looking for user experience / info with the Deere 5205 #5  
My first new JD was a 5400, that was the predacessor to the 05 series. I had a spring break that was connected to the L/H reverser, twice I believe. No other issues. I only ran it up to around 1200 hrs or so, sorry, no big help to you.

/ Looking for user experience / info with the Deere 5205 #6  
As a tech at a dealer, I see some of these with high hours of use at schools, municipalities, and golf courses. Many are used for pulling finish mowers. The one weakness I see is pto engagement linkage and clutch. The way the linkage is designed, requires frequent adjustment to keep pto clutch engaged securely. If adjustment is not kept at optimum settings, the clutch will fail prematurely. The linkage is different from the 5x00 series and 5x10 series. Those were designed much better in my opinion. The 05 series can be still very reliable, but requires diligent attention to adjustment. The rest of the tractor is pretty bullet proof.

/ Looking for user experience / info with the Deere 5205 #7  
jd110
I briefly looked at pto clutch engagement in parts schematics on 5200 & 5205. To me although they utilize different part numbers the engagement process seems similar. Can you please explain how the models are different?
Thanks,Jim

/ Looking for user experience / info with the Deere 5205 #8  
jd110 actually wrote 5x00 and 5x10 series, he did not mention 5x05 series (but would not be surprised if similar to 5x00, but lots of changes across the whole chassis in 5x10). So I take that to mean 5x00, 5x05 being different from 5x10 which is entirely possible as the 5x05 vs 5x10 is entry level vs premium level. That said, Deere has earned many kudo's for the resale value of 5x05 series tractors. Pretty good little workhorse imao, but any tractor with a dry clutch is bound to have clutch breakdown at some point in its life.

/ Looking for user experience / info with the Deere 5205 #9  
jd110 actually wrote 5x00 and 5x10 series, he did not mention 5x05 series (but would not be surprised if similar to 5x00, but lots of changes across the whole chassis in 5x10). So I take that to mean 5x00, 5x05 being different from 5x10 which is entirely possible as the 5x05 vs 5x10 is entry level vs premium level. That said, Deere has earned many kudo's for the resale value of 5x05 series tractors. Pretty good little workhorse imao, but any tractor with a dry clutch is bound to have clutch breakdown at some point in its life.

And this thread was started about what model tractor I think 5205. And I'll quote jd110[/quote]The linkage is different from the 5x00 series and 5x10 series.[/quote]

/ Looking for user experience / info with the Deere 5205 #10  
I have a 5105(very similar) and the only major problem I have had with it was the electrical connector for the fuel gauge sending unit got snagged while brush cutting and cause a slow leak. I was able to replace the sending unit from underneath the tractor. The fuel lines and the hydraulic lines can get damaged if operated in heavy brush(running over logs and fallen trees). I have had this tractor for 9 years and have been very pleased with it.