Looking to add a garage heater. 43' x 30'

/ Looking to add a garage heater. 43' x 30' #1  

MGH PA

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Gravely 148Z 48" ZTR
We built our house a few years ago with an attached 43' x 30' garage. The plan was to keep this garage for cars, ATVS, tools, and then attic storage above (which we have). I have since put off plans to build an exterior building for a workshop, so I have found myself working more in the garage than anticipated. As such, I would like to add heater for the space to keep it comfortable (i.e., ~55-60 degrees) working in a sweatshirt all year long. I have a 500 gallon propane tank already in place that runs my generator and a single gas fireplace, so I hardly use much propane. I also have two more branches already plumbed in the house read to add on, so it only makes sense to run a propane heater vs. an electric (unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I'm looking for a reputable brand/model as prices vary quite widely. I was looking particularly at the Mr. Heater brand on Northern Tool.

For reference, the garage is, as the title states, 43' x 30' with ~12' ceilings, three garage doors (two 9', and one 10'), 2x6 walls with NuWool insulation and drywalled interior. Ceiling is also insulated and drywalled. Slab is uninsulated.

Thanks for any recommendations you may be able to provide!

/ Looking to add a garage heater. 43' x 30' #2  
Depending on your climate you might consider a Mini Split you would get both heat and air that way and they are easy to install yourself.

/ Looking to add a garage heater. 43' x 30' #3  
I've thought about this but am currently keeping with a wood stove in my pole barn. In investigating this, I found the "Mr. Heater" type of heater looked attractive until I looked at the price of approved venting and installation. It looked to me like I could install a 95% efficient furnace for not much more and have a more effective and efficient solution.

/ Looking to add a garage heater. 43' x 30' #4  
I don't know your budget but is you plan to keep the garage / shop at a constant fifty to sixty degrees in the winter a heat pump may be the better choice. Of course an added bonus would be cooling the building in the summer. Eighty looks pretty attractive when it's a hundred plus outside and it dehumidifies, too.

/ Looking to add a garage heater. 43' x 30' #5  
We built our house a few years ago with an attached 43' x 30' garage. The plan was to keep this garage for cars, ATVS, tools, and then attic storage above (which we have). I have since put off plans to build an exterior building for a workshop, so I have found myself working more in the garage than anticipated. As such, I would like to add heater for the space to keep it comfortable (i.e., ~55-60 degrees) working in a sweatshirt all year long. I have a 500 gallon propane tank already in place that runs my generator and a single gas fireplace, so I hardly use much propane. I also have two more branches already plumbed in the house read to add on, so it only makes sense to run a propane heater vs. an electric (unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I'm looking for a reputable brand/model as prices vary quite widely. I was looking particularly at the Mr. Heater brand on Northern Tool.

For reference, the garage is, as the title states, 43' x 30' with ~12' ceilings, three garage doors (two 9', and one 10'), 2x6 walls with NuWool insulation and drywalled interior. Ceiling is also insulated and drywalled. Slab is uninsulated.

Thanks for any recommendations you may be able to provide!
If your garage space is well insulated, and you can keep the garage doors closed most of the time, it really doesn't take that much heat to keep it warm and comfortable.

We are all electric in this house, so no choice for propane here. I have 2 small 3700 Watt electric heaters hanging in opposite corners of my garage. I have no problem maintaining +50 degrees in the dead of winter, if I can keep the garage doors closed. That's down to -45F outside. My garage space is very well insulated, including 3 layer windows and both garage doors are also well insulated. The key is to keep the doors closed (obviously).

Bringing in an ice cold car is like dropping an ice cube in a drink, but the heaters will recover the garage temperature after a couple hours.

/ Looking to add a garage heater. 43' x 30' #6  
While I'll second the idea of the mini-split heat pumps.
I would also look at the infrared propane heaters, they will heat the occupants and equipment even when a door is opened either moving stuff in or out or with a door opened for ventilation for running vehicles or welding fumes.
1668621317156.png

/ Looking to add a garage heater. 43' x 30'
I should note that cooling isn't an issue. It never gets overly hot in the summer, and I have adequate windows in the garage that I open in the summer to get air circulating. Heat is my biggest concern. I haven't done any load calculations, nor is that an area I'm comfortable in. I had considered all electric for cost, but our local rates are through the roof now. Luckily I enrolled in a 12 month rate reduction program and pay 8.5 cents/kwh, but the price to compare in our area is going up to 14 cents here soon (currently at 12). Needless to say, I worry about heating any space with all electric (my house is Geothermal, so even that has me a bit concerned).

/ Looking to add a garage heater. 43' x 30' #8  
   / Looking to add a garage heater. 43' x 30' #9  
I’d get one of those forced air units like Reznor that hang in the corner. They air relatively inexpensive and heat the place in a hurry. Mine is propane. The picture is similar to mine.

Attachments

• 949.jpg
    949.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 193

/ Looking to add a garage heater. 43' x 30' #10  
The hanging forced air type heater will be the easiest overall and not too bad to run costwise. You did not mention if the garage doors were also well insulated. If not, that would also be a first thing to do, but I suspect they are given that you insulated the walls, etc already.

Just make sure that the heater is sealed combustion with direct vent outdoors to eliminate/minimize the risk of CO issues and to vent the moisture byproduct of combustion out of the garage.