Looking to build a skid steer boom pole

/ Looking to build a skid steer boom pole #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
Looking to build a boom pole to put on my skid steer. Has anybody ever made on that telescopes? I know there are hydraulic ones made, but they are quite expensive. What I was thinking of was a manual one. Pull the pin and slide it out to the desired length. From what I've seen, 4", 3-1/2" and 3" tubes are pretty standard for this. What I can't figure out is how to remove the flash from inside the tube so they nest nicely.

/ Looking to build a skid steer boom pole #2  
Don't bother removing the flash.

My steel supplier lets me walk around the racks with sample pieces testing to see what size fits inside another. I write down the sizes that fit, he cuts them to length.

Easy peasy, as they say.....

Sorry I have no experience building boom poles, seems like a forum search would turn up a ton of posts.

/ Looking to build a skid steer boom pole #3  
I just googled ' telescoping square steel tubing' and only spent a few minutes on it. One guy on a machinist board recommended finding the inner tube size you like, then make your own outer tube by welding two angle iron bars together. Sounded like he got his fit by welding after clamping everything together with removable shims for clearance.

Maybe one of our welders would comment on how strong that outer tube weldment would be.

/ Looking to build a skid steer boom pole #4  
6X6X.25 sq tube outer, 4X4X.375 inner and about a 90" cyl. Sorry, these pics are more about what I was doing rather than the "pole".

Attachments

• camp shelter 011.jpg
    camp shelter 011.jpg
    964.9 KB · Views: 1,765
  • DSC02087.JPG
    DSC02087.JPG
    594.7 KB · Views: 2,377
  • DSC02080.JPG
    DSC02080.JPG
    561.1 KB · Views: 756
  • camp shelter 006.jpg
    camp shelter 006.jpg
    911.2 KB · Views: 9,061
  • DSCN3752.JPG
    DSCN3752.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 1,448
  • DSCN3757.JPG
    DSCN3757.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 1,523
   / Looking to build a skid steer boom pole #5  
boom pole 010.jpg This one is not hydraulic but I just found the next smaller tube that fits inside and use the hook bolt as a anchor for adjustability. I have not even purchased the extension tube yet. I have not needed it. This one will set trusses on a 30' wide pole barn. CJ

/ Looking to build a skid steer boom pole
View attachment 397373 This one is not hydraulic but I just found the next smaller tube that fits inside and use the hook bolt as a anchor for adjustability. I have not even purchased the extension tube yet. I have not needed it. This one will set trusses on a 30' wide pole barn. CJ

That's pretty much what I'm looking to build. Can I ask what your material sizes and lengths were? What is the lifting capacity of your tractor and have you tried to max out the pole?

/ Looking to build a skid steer boom pole
6X6X.25 sq tube outer, 4X4X.375 inner and about a 90" cyl. Sorry, these pics are more about what I was doing rather than the "pole".

With a 7810, I can understand why you are using a 6x6 tube. Wish I had the capacity of the machine, but they're just too wide.

/ Looking to build a skid steer boom pole #8  
That's pretty much what I'm looking to build. Can I ask what your material sizes and lengths were? What is the lifting capacity of your tractor and have you tried to max out the pole?

2x3 tube 3/16" wall. This will allow a 2.5" x 1.5" inner sliding tube. 14' main tube with 1" brace tubes 1/8" wall on the 1" square tubes. This was all built on a 3/8" thick skid steer adapter plate. Tractor will lift at least 3000 just off the ground and I have picked 1200lbs at the end of the pole. Tractor will not curl it but it will lift with the main cyls. With the bracing nothing flexes at all. I cant max out the pole with my tractor. CJ