Looking to buy a Mini-X. Your experience and opinions, please

/ Looking to buy a Mini-X. Your experience and opinions, please #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
To all who already have one, I'm interested in your experience with a Mini-X. (5-6 ton machine) Please post what you have and why you like it, or why not.

Just a little background on myself, I started operating excavators about 40 years ago. Been on a lot of different brands and sizes. I've had two rubber tire TLB's in the past, but now have four 70-90HP 4WD tractors with loaders. I'm wanting a crawler excavator to use on my farm. (110 acres) I need one to clean fence rows, dig up dead trees, drive fence posts, demolish old buildings, etc.

I've narrowed down my search to the 5-6 ton range. I want to be able to safely and legally move it with my F-350 and gooseneck trailer. Has to have a hydraulic thumb, and I prefer a cab with A/C.

I've been looking at used machines for several months, and don't really like what I've found, for the price. Having attended several large equipment auctions recently, I don't think I will find what I'm looking for at auction.
The big rental companies are asking nearly as much for a well-used X as what I can buy new. And, a bunch of the rental machines have been rode hard and put up wet. I'm now considering buying new.

So far, I'm most impressed with the Takeuchi TB260 and the Deere 50G. Both are $70K, new. (Cab, hyd. thumb) Both are offering 0% financing and a 2 year warranty.
I would consider any other brands, as long as I have dealer support nearby.

So, tell me what you think.

/ Looking to buy a Mini-X. Your experience and opinions, please #2  
The biggest problem I see is the time to move it across the farm. Excavators are more efficient diggers than a backhoe but getting them from point a to point b is slow.

/ Looking to buy a Mini-X. Your experience and opinions, please
The biggest problem I see is the time to move it across the farm. Excavators are more efficient diggers than a backhoe but getting them from point a to point b is slow.

Yes sir, 3 MPH won't break the sound barrier. :D
But that's not an issue for me. I have a 1 ton truck and G/N trailer here all the time. If it needs to move more than a couple hundred yards, I can load it up and roll.

/ Looking to buy a Mini-X. Your experience and opinions, please #4  
Kubota has been as good as any and with the six way blade on the front they are a good machine for the final touches of the job.

/ Looking to buy a Mini-X. Your experience and opinions, please #5  
I thought I knew what excavator I wanted,, until I spent some time watching some of this guys videos,,

This video explains why you may prefer a fixed, non-hydraulic thumb.

He seems to have been running excavators (he owns a half dozen or so) for about 8 years.

In his opinion, the best one he has owned is a gray market Yanmar,,
Why is it best? It NEVER breaks down,,

/ Looking to buy a Mini-X. Your experience and opinions, please #6  
Did you look at Kubota? KX040-4 is right in your spec range. I almost purchased one but ended up with a TLB. This is assuming you have a good dealer relatively close.

/ Looking to buy a Mini-X. Your experience and opinions, please #7  
He hates John Deere,, his opinions are based 90% on reliability,,,

This is a video featuring what I believe is his favorite excavator,,

The guy is young,, and he REALLY likes to pick the lowest cost approach to ANYTHING,,
that works when you are young,, I worry I can not do that much mechanical stuff at my age,,, :thumbsup:

BUT, when the machine is more for just doing my work, and not making money (earning a living),,
maybe I have the time to use a second hand, 30 year old machine,,
and keep $55,000 in the bank.

Kubota has been as good as any and with the six way blade on the front they are a good machine for the final touches of the job.

Art, I will have to agree with you on the 'Bota. Good, solid machines. My local dealer doesn't have one with a cab, and the quote that he gave me last year was several thousand dollars higher than the Takeuchi or Deere. I probably need to venture out a little further and look.
BTW, the reason Komatsu and CAT are not on my list for a new machine is the same. I didn't like the price tag.

/ Looking to buy a Mini-X. Your experience and opinions, please #9  
My local dealer doesn't have one with a cab,
and the quote that he gave me last year was several thousand dollars higher than the Takeuchi or Deere.

I had a guy do $6,000 of earth moving last year,,
His father did a lot of earth moving for me 30 years ago,, so the son Chris, has been around earth moving his whole life.
Chris has a Kobelco excavator (BIG!! 20+ tons) and a Takeuchi track skid steer,,
He has owned the Takeuchi for several years,,
from talking to him,, right now, I believe the only machine Chris would buy is a Takeuchi,, he says the machine is flawless,, for his applications.

. . . BUT, when the machine is more for just doing my work, and not making money (earning a living),,
maybe I have the time to use a second hand, 30 year old machine,,
and keep $55,000 in the bank.
That's where I've been trying to go for months. My problem is that I don't want to buy someone else's problems. Just earlier this week, I looked at a 2012 Volvo ECR48. A rental machine that has been owned by the same company since new. Price was $29K. Pictures looked good, and salesman said that everything works as it should. Nothing wrong with the machine. I looked at it for a few minutes and determined that the hydraulics were slow and there was a significant leak near the main valve. The A/C was not working. Two of the rear view mirrors were broken off. The auxiliary hydraulic button was broken off. I pointed out the problems and the district manager, who had priced the machine, said 29 as is. Take it or leave it. So I left. :D That's been the story for months. I would absolutely LOVE to find a good, clean, well-maintained machine for $25-30K. But I'm not going to pay 30 and spend another 30 getting everything to work!!