Looking to buy a yard tractor for mowing

/ Looking to buy a yard tractor for mowing #21  
I agree with others here ,for 2500 just buy new . Sister just bought a new toro ztr 54 in with my ride system which is very nice , 4500 dollars , The cub is probably a good mower but you never know.

/ Looking to buy a yard tractor for mowing #22  
I bought a new Cub Cadet XT2 LX 42 summer before last. $2000. Same tractor is now $2400. I mow about 3.5 acres. Overall, I'm happy with it, aside from one little problem; it doesn't have a limited slip differential , or a locking differential. I don't know if any lawn tractors in this class have limited slip. We had a very wet spring this year, and I'm getting stuck on what I would consider rather mild up hill grades. I can't imagine using this for any sort of snow removal.

/ Looking to buy a yard tractor for mowing #23  
Mowing 3.5 acres with 42 inch deck in a ride on mower - been there done that.

I have switched to a 72 inch front deck mower, but be aware our mowing season begins in late February or early March and the need to mow frequency picks up from there.

/ Looking to buy a yard tractor for mowing #24  
Wow, I am amazed at how much you guys are willing to spend to mow small acreage. I bought a 42 inch MTD with an automatic transmission for $350, and it mows my 2 acres fine.

So far so good, but if it craps out I’ll just buy another one. They are a dime a dozen around here, and you even find them at the dump when some little thing goes wrong and people don’t want to spend the time fixing it.

I haven’t been paying attention to how long it takes to mow, but It can’t be more than an hour to maybe an hour and a half, and I only have to do it maybe every three weeks or so.

I suppose I could buy a mmm for my Kubota BX25, but it is just not worth the money to me, and I don’t really feel like taking it off and on.

/ Looking to buy a yard tractor for mowing #25  
This time of year our grass would look something similar to this in three weeks:

IMG_5404.jpg

/ Looking to buy a yard tractor for mowing #27  
After using a ZTR, doubt I'd ever go back to a lawn tractor.
That said, a lawn tractor is a more versatile machine and can, if properly equipped, do several different chores
But don't let anyone tell you a ZTR can't tow...they can (and I do)...I tow an aerator, lawn roller and, later this year, a dethatcher. Just can't make the sharp turns a ZTR is capable of...

I'd love a diesel engine, but just can't justify the extra money...

Last edited:
   / Looking to buy a yard tractor for mowing #28  
Same here, I'm never going back to mowing with a lawn/garden/scut tractor. Last year, I bought a commercial grade stand-on mower, wow what a difference! It's got a 48" deck, but runs circles around anything else I ever mowed with, including the 60" mmm on my massey. Plus, it's fun!