Buying Advice Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor

/ Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #11  
I will also look at the NX4510HST. Basically the same dimensions, with more Engine HP and PTO HP. Be interesting to see the price differences.

A neighbor is strongly pushing for me to include the backhoe upfront. He feels I'll get a lot of use out of it. But at $8,295 plus tax, not sure I want to put that out right now.

One thing current tractor owners are good at is getting new tractor owners to buy more stuff;) I have a BH and it has paid for itself, but not lately. Consider what it would cost to add later (lost time with the tractor, pickup/delivery fees if you can't haul it, and shop hours). Also have jobs for it, think about how many hours you can think of for it's use right now and double that because you'll learn other things you could be doing with it and go from there. Another thing, is this neighbor one of the ones who's helped you with his tractor? Does he have a BH? Maybe he's hoping you will return the favor with some BH help. Just saying, that alone would push me over the edge if I was close.

More HP is fine, I do love more PTO HP. It makes a lot of tasks go smoother and more efficiently. If I was to choose the things I've learned are more important than others it's tire size, then FEL capacity, then PTO HP.

Tire size gets you a more comfortable ride though the woods. It also allows you to navigate obstacles better and avoid pinch flats to an extent (not so much a problem with the sizes you are considering).

FEL capacity is one of those things where "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" I see a lot of guys looking for the smallest tractor they can move a round bale with for example. Horrible idea. You need to think about the terrain you need to cover, distance you need to go, how fast you want do do the work then think about the percentage of FEL capacity you can safely use without over working the FEL (random physics you carry 100% load in the FEL then the front tires go over a 4" obstacle gravity accelerates you then the FEL has to catch what % of it's rated capacity?). Also the higher you are on the maximum capacity of the FEL (or height of the load) the less stable you are as a general rule.

Then PTO HP, I run a chipper on a ~50 PTO HP tractor then move that same chipper to a ~60 PTO HP tractor it's night and day. I wont say it doubles the capability but sometimes it seems like it does.

/ Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #12  
Tire size also makes a HUGE difference in traction (larger diameter is better)

/ Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #13  
Was the dealer in Post Falls? I just bought a CX2510 H from them. About 6 years ago I interviewed for a job there(didn't get hired). They seamed pretty stand up then, so I decided to go with them on this purchase. I looked at all the other offerings but Kioti seams to have a good track record and was $1750 less than a Bota. I should have it soon, waiting on the 3rd function to be installed. EA 55" Wicked Grapple Rake order placed on Friday! Gonna be 12wks on the EA but that just gives me time to plan for its Wicked uses. Happy Shopping from Spokane!

/ Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor
Was the dealer in Post Falls?

That's the one. Thank you for sharing your experience with this dealer. I was pleasantly impressed with the salesman I spoke with.

A grapple is also in my future. What made you go with EA? Earlier in this thread you may have seen other members posting of grapples in the $1200-1500 price range. One member linked to the Titan grapple. Did your research point you to the EA Wicked Grapple?

Thanks again for the info regarding your experience.

/ Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #15  
I watched countless grapple videos, read endless reviews & agonized over the lead time on the EA. I really believe in the Buy Once, Cry Once saying so I try to inform myself as best I can.. My grapple has to be light as possible in my mind to maximize the capacity of my light duty FEL. I also love the lid design of the EA, the top wingspan is better than any other option in its weight class IMO. My main goal is pine party clean up and I think the EA will be best option. The Land Pride was a close 2nd for me but it doesn't look nearly as beefy or offer the raking efficiency of the EA. The EA appears to be well built, in America, by people that care about their end user so I swallowed the Wicked pill. You'll have lots more options with your loader capacity as far as size and weight goes. So shop around. But if the EA is your huckleberry I wouldn't wait, I could have had it a lil sooner if I would have just accepted the cost and ordered it two weeks ago!

LilTractr,

Thanks for the reply. I am going to wait until I go into the dealer again and find out what manufacturer they are quoting for the grapple. I had also seen the EA Wicked as one of the more capable grapples in my research. I think regardless of the FEL capacity, a lighter grapple, as long as the material strength is there, would be the wiser choice. The Titan grapple is about 200lbs heavier. Then again, they offer free shipping.

Hopefully we can get back down to the dealer this week and get some of our questions answered.

Idahoagie

/ Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #17  
For the price that you were quoted I was able to get a 2020 4710 DK se hst. With a cab . They added link pedal , telescoping arm links, rear windshield wiper, loaded tires. I purchased a grapple it was $1000 for the third function and $1100 for the grapple.
The DK 4710 is very similar to the nx 4510 same horsepower same PTO output. The weight is about 230 pounds difference. The nx
Is a longer tractor by 10 inches I believe and it is wider by about 5 inches. The big difference is I got cab a For the same price same as your non cab same horsepower same PTO output. The nx does lift a maximum of 250 pounds more. I understand I may have gotten a deal and you may not get the same thing but if your looking to save money and get the same pretty much the same tractor
Look at the DK 4710 se. I also highly recommend getting a quick hitch, I also highly recommend getting a hydraulic top link
You don稚 have to buy either of them at the dealer both relatively cheap
going to cost you about $150 each.
I myself wrestled with the backhoe just like you I ended up getting a stump bucket. My first uses was to dig out a rock field creek 20 feet long 6 feet wide filled with rocks so I can add a culvert. I was initially convinced I would need a backhoe for this job . I was completely surprised how well it worked. Stump bucket cost $500. エ not a replacement for a backhoe but you can do a lot with that stump bucket what you can do with the backhoe dig trenches, pull out stumps, dig holes for tree transplanting. For $500 check out the stump bucket I got a tomahawk model and it worked great. Just some suggestions not sure how much work in the wood you will do. but a cab tractor is the absolute ticket. If you work in the winter no brainer, if you work in the summer no brainer if you work on the fields no brainer. If your brush hogging and cutting a lot of grass a no brainer. Good luck just my suggestion.

Last edited:
   / Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #18  
LilTractr,

Thanks for the reply. I am going to wait until I go into the dealer again and find out what manufacturer they are quoting for the grapple. I had also seen the EA Wicked as one of the more capable grapples in my research. I think regardless of the FEL capacity, a lighter grapple, as long as the material strength is there, would be the wiser choice. The Titan grapple is about 200lbs heavier. Then again, they offer free shipping.

Hopefully we can get back down to the dealer this week and get some of our questions answered.

Idahoagie

Shipping on the EA was about $110 to Spokane Yellow Freight terminal just for reference. The grapple that the dealer had offered me was a China built 48" @ 350#s for $1200. Although I would assume they have something a lil bigger for you? Good Luck.

Shipping on the EA was about $110 to Spokane Yellow Freight terminal just for reference. The grapple that the dealer had offered me was a China built 48" @ 350#s for $1200. Although I would assume they have something a lil bigger for you? Good Luck.

Thanks for that info. I would guess the Spokane freight terminal might also be the closest for me. Unless there is a terminal in CdA. Either way, $110 sounds pretty reasonable.

Dealer emailed me this morning regarding some of my questions.

The grapple they sell is from W.R. Long, a company in Tarboro, NC.

I'm not sure which model the dealer is selling, but assuming he is going with the 72 inch, same width as the loader bucket, that unit weighs in at 665lbs for a single or 725lbs for the double.

This begs the question: What width grapple should I be looking at for a tractor with a ~66inch width? Do you match the width of the bucket at 72inches? Or do you go a bit narrower on the width to improve maneuverability?

The EA 66inch Wicked Root is 660lbs and costs $3,400 plus shipping.
The W.R. Long 66inch grapple is comparable in weight and cost.