Looks like a bad idea

/ Looks like a bad idea #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
We were staying in a cabin near Red River, NM on vacation this week, when I saw this (see pic). I looked out earlier and saw a man and a 12-year old or so boy trying to push a Craftsman garden tractor (no deck) with chains on the rear wheels. For whatever reason they couldn't push it because the rear wheels appeared locked.

So the man cranked up his JD 850 and put the lawn tractor rear wheels in the bucket and pushed. The kid was on the little tractor steering it. I prayed that something did not slip, as the boy could have been seriously injured. Luckily, they got the Craftsman moved to the shed where they wanted it.

I also noticed that the 850 was a gear tractor, and noted the difficulty the man had keeping the engagement with the Craftsman, as he was clutching and letting out constantly trying to maintain control. I thought how much easier and safer the Hydrostat would have been.

But the JD 850 was a super nice tractor, I had watched the guy grade the road with back blade, and it looks like one heck of a tractor.

Attachments

• 299754-31Tractor.JPG
    299754-31Tractor.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 873
   / Looks like a bad idea #2  
As you say that tractor being a gear tractor. All it would take is that man's foot to slip of the clutch and that Craftsman mower would be crushed. They should have pulled it instead of pushing it or just pick it up in the bucket. They are a lot of better ways to do that than the way they are doing it.