LOTS of junk ads on email

/ LOTS of junk ads on email #11  
Spammers are a never ending problem.

Yes they are and I thought that telephone scammers were too but since this virus outbreak they have all but dissappeard for us. I don't understand it but sure appreciate it.

/ LOTS of junk ads on email #13  
I used to use Thunderbird and liked it a lot. At some point Mozilla stopped supporting it though. Is it back again?

I've been using it for 12 years or so. They might have stopped supporting it for a while but I didn't notice.

Between spam detection and filtering at our mail service, custom spam filters there, thunderbird's spam detection and custom spam filters in thunderbird I don't see much spam. And that's with an email address that's been in use and widely published for 25 years.

/ LOTS of junk ads on email #15  
I use Thunderbird from Mozilla for my email. I can set it to block things but it also "learns" what doesn't belong. If it makes an error there is s spam folder where these rejected messages are placed. You can check it from time to time to see if you missed anything and clean it out accordingly.

I used to use Thunderbird and liked it a lot. At some point Mozilla stopped supporting it though. Is it back again?

I've been using it for 12 years or so. They might have stopped supporting it for a while but I didn't notice.

Between spam detection and filtering at our mail service, custom spam filters there, thunderbird's spam detection and custom spam filters in thunderbird I don't see much spam. And that's with an email address that's been in use and widely published for 25 years.

There's a very long history involved there. This is just a snippet and I'm not sure I remember it this way:

"On December 1, 2015, Mozilla Executive Chair Mitchell Baker announced in a company-wide memo that Thunderbird development needs to be uncoupled from Firefox. She referred to Thunderbird developers spending large efforts responding to changes to Mozilla technologies, while Firefox was paying a tax to support Thunderbird development. She also said that she does not believe Thunderbird has the potential for "industry-wide impact" that Firefox does. At the same time, it was announced that Mozilla Foundation would provide at least a temporary legal and financial home for the Thunderbird project.

Since the memo in 2015, Mozilla has brought Thunderbird back in-house in an announcement on May 9, 2017, and continues to support its development. The Thunderbird development team has also expanded by adding several new members and has undergone an overhaul on security and user interface.

On January 28, 2020, the Mozilla Foundation announced that the project would henceforth be operating from a new wholly owned subsidiary, MZLA Technologies Corporation, in order to explore offering products and services that were not previously possible and to collect revenue through partnerships and non-charitable donations."

Mozilla Thunderbird - Wikipedia

Netscape Navigator is basically the Grandaddy of web browsers. It was around before Internet Explorer. At some point it got acquired by AOL, then spun off to Mozilla as Mozilla Suite and then ejected by them to become what is now known as SeaMonkey. It originally included a full service email client, a browser, a chat client and a web page composer, all of which carried through all the changes. In my recollection, T-Bird was a spinoff of the email client included in the full suites. FireFox was the spinoff of the browser, the two having been broken out for those that didn't want the full suite.

But the Wikis don't really support my recollection, so I can't prove it.

SeaMonkey still includes everything however, but those working on it are dwindling due to lack of support after Mozilla tossed them over.

/ LOTS of junk ads on email #16  
the trick is to be very careful who you give your email to, once they have it, it's in circulation!. there should be a setting to only have certain emails sent to your inbox, the rest get sent to the junk folders. I don't give my bank my phone number because of this, they gave it out to advertisers!..

That's the key. I get almost no junk mail in my regular account. I have a separate one I use for e-commerce. Most of the spam I get there is from companies I've done business with, maybe I've been lucky and haven't had my address sold. If a business insists on a phone # I'll enter something like 555-1212.

/ LOTS of junk ads on email #17  
Both my wife and I have been getting LOTS of junk email ads.

What do you do to block these things, or whatever?

On Outlook underneath the "home", there's a Junk selection. We click it and then OK.

Ralph

In Outlook you might want to go to 'Settings'. That'll be a cog wheel looking symbol at the top right. When that menu comes up, go to 'View All Outlook Settings' option at the bottom of the list. Click that and 'Subscriptions' option will open. When in Subscriptions you have the options of either Blocking or Unsubscribing. Many sites have you blocked out so you can't actually unsubscribe regardless of what you want. For those, I simply Block those.

I think you'll be shocked at all of the sites that have tagged you in the past. Sites that you've never logged into and sites that have trolled your computer. Even after clearing out a couple hundred (it seems) sites, I still occasionally have one or two that try to sneak in. Once you've cleaned out the suckers you'll also find your computer runs a lot faster. You probably will want to check for new leaches that have sneaked in every once in a while.

First time is a lot of work. But the savings is definitely worthwhile. Also sending unwanted email to Junk or Phishing is a routine for me as well. I HATE spam mail!

/ LOTS of junk ads on email #18  
Your method seems to me still not sufficient. Spammers do everything so that the email service doesn't understand that this is a non-convincing advertisement. It annoyed me terribly since my mail is working and I will not miss a single letter. And advertising spoils everything. At first, I tried to fight each spammer separately, but then I realized that it takes a lot of time and decided to look for a way out of the situation more carefully, for the entire profile. That's why I found safe and fast email checker solutions. My boss pointed out that on folderly.com the most optimal solution. Guys from there immediately remove the ads, as well as check and clean the spam folder. It seemed to be very convenient and greatly facilitated the work.

Last edited:
   / LOTS of junk ads on email #19  
All a user has to do is open an e-mail message...no need to click a link etc...as soon as the message is opened a single pixel image automatically sends a request to a server that logs the originating e-mail address...
...this tells the spammer that they have a working address with an Internet connection....they either use and or sell that/those working addresses...the issue gets compounded exponentially at times...

/ LOTS of junk ads on email #20  
All a user has to do is open an e-mail message...no need to click a link etc...as soon as the message is opened a single pixel image automatically sends a request to a server that logs the originating e-mail address...
...this tells the spammer that they have a working address with an Internet connection....they either use and or sell that/those working addresses...the issue gets compounded exponentially at times...

True, however, this method can be defeated by setting the email client to not automatically load images... If the client software supports this.
I only load the images if the email is something of interest.