Love Letters. Real Estate

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #31  
When I met Mrs. Quicksand she was living in a house she owned with her sister. When we got married she sold her share to her sister but wanted to stay in the same neighborhood. So we wrote letters to the owners of houses that we knew were being rented, figuring that many people who rent might be interested in selling. We didn't get any responses to the letters, but we did have a neighbor connect us with the owner of a house on the same street who was renting and was in fact interested in selling. We bought that house and lived in it for years. So it kind-of worked.

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #32  
I don't think the letter offer to buy property or a house is a bad thing, as long as they are talking fair value and not harassing.
I said earlier. the guy who dropped a letter in my mother's mail was showing, or even raising interest to buy.
He got it in the end because a friend of his in the neighborhood called him when the for sale sign went up.

Really, it's not much different than seeing an unused tractor, classic car, or whatever in someone's barnyard and popping in to
see if they'd be willing to sell it. And to keep you in mind if they ever do want to sell it.

I did that in my teens with a customer's 73 'cuda. He remembered when the time came and called looking for me.

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #33  
With the current market I think Realtors are encouraging personal type letters to accompany the offer.
I believe you are incorrect, and and this point, realators are trying to get away from "love letters" in the real estate market.

The way the housing market should work is whoever wants to buy, has the best bid and conditions of closing should get buy.

The issue with love letters is that technically, those letters can actually by breaking the law (fair housing act) by swaying the seller for the wrong reason why they picked someone to buy the house, particularly if the house went for a lower sell price than other higher bids.

I don't believe this issue relates to people just sending off letters lowballing on unlisted homes or properties with lowball offers, but to protect the market when the home / property is for sale.

/ Love Letters. Real Estate
I get the cards and letters all the time!
Only from shyster realtors, or developers though.
I have a 291 year old house on 11.7 acres of ocean view property.
They see the potential for 10 one acre house lots at $400K+ each, (that is the going rate) and just drool on themselves.
It is in trust for my kids, so perhaps it may eventually be sold, but I kinda doubt it.
farmers don't sell farms

farmers children sell farms

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #35  
farmers don't sell farms

Man ain’t that the truth.
See it all the time.
Lived in the same area, except for college, all my life.
There were 100’s of family farms. Now we have maybe a dozen.
The farms were not all developed. Many were purchased by out of the area wealthy. They turned them into “estates”. Some have vineyards, helipads, or herds of organic raised beef.
The kids of the farm owners got their millions.

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #36  
farmers don't sell farms

Guy across the street was an old farmer.

He passed away unexpectedly in his 70's

He left his homes and farm land (over 300 acres) to an old farm hand of his, unrelated to him, that had his own small farm over on the other side of town.

A realtive of his (farmer who passed) is near me, and the farmer has more family just up the road, I know this neighbor pretty well, we both agree that the old farmer knew what he was doing not leaving the land to his family.

The guy he left the property has worked it hard and has made numerous improvments.

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #37  
My farmer neighbor has 300 acres he farms plus 100 acres he raises cattle. He took over from his Dad.

Told me yesterday he’s retiring - he’s 68 years old. He is tired.

His son is 45 and has been helping since a kid. So, he sees a very smooth transition.

As we know, it’s hard and stressful work. I don’t know the son as well but he works hard and appears to enjoy the life. Time will tell.

MoKelly

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #39  
My father took over the family greenhouse from his father... would have preferred to do something else but he felt obligated.
He made it clear that none of his kids were going to have that option.

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #40  
And what is wrong with that? Nothing says the kid has to be in the same profession as the father.
But why does the father feel obligated have to leave his possessions to his children?

Dad works his arse off doing something that he loved, made some money doing it if he was lucky. Then dad leaves the land to the kids and they sell it because it could be worth a fortune.

One of my boys even asked if he could have some land of ours. We both told him when we retire or getting close to that age, everything is going to be sold becuase we're leaving.

God forbid kids actually work for what they buy themselves.