Love Letters. Real Estate

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #1  

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
Apparently there is a new approach to buying a house. They said in NC There is such a housing shortage that buyers have taken to writing letters to the homeowner and leaving them in the mail box. It was implied that this was not kosher and possibly against the law.

10 years ago, while selling my property in Oregon, I found just such a letter in my mailbox. Like a moron, i read it. Sounded like a soap opera. The more i read, the less i wanted them to have my place. I remember thinking, young couple and they watch to many tv shows.

If you deserve help, i'm your guy, if your a whiner, take it down the road.

Anyway, these letters have become so common and problematic many listings specifically discourage them.

I wonder if it works?

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #2  
Won't work for me, doesn't work for wifie.

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #3  
common in my area. I don’t see what the problem is in merely asking?

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #4  
We’ve had people come by out of the blue, asking if we’d consider selling.
One couple, other two were realtors. The two shysters were told to eff off. The couple I offered the place to for 5x’s it’s market value.
They declined, guess they weren’t so desperate after all.

I’ve never heard of letters being left.

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #5  
When we sold our last house in the city (2019) we got many letters from potential buyers. BUT - that was after there was already a listing.

I’ve never received letters on a house not listed for sale.

That is sort of creepy.

MoKelly

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #6  
After I declined a realtors offer for our property in South Dakota, he kept calling me each week until I blocked his number.

He then did some research on us and found my wife's phone number at her work. He was relentless like the car warranty scammers.

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #7  
It's not uncommon for somebody to pore over the city tax maps and send out letters of inquiry. It's when they won't take "no" for an answer that it becomes obnoxious.
When we sold our last house in the city (2019) we got many letters from potential buyers. BUT - that was after there was already a listing.

That is sort of creepy.

MoKelly
A friend bought a remote camp on the water years ago, it was on a leased lot, in disrepair, and at the time only accessible by water.
He and his father fixed it up and turned it into a nice place. For the next 15 years he had somebody calling asking him to sell it, and he kept saying no. I finally suggested that he give them a price, so he did.

The calls stopped.

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #8  
we got one of those letters along with the highest offer for our last house. Maybe it worked... but the offer did.

/ Love Letters. Real Estate #9  

That is sort of creepy.

MoKelly
I get the cards and letters all the time!
Only from shyster realtors, or developers though.
I have a 291 year old house on 11.7 acres of ocean view property.
They see the potential for 10 one acre house lots at $400K+ each, (that is the going rate) and just drool on themselves.
It is in trust for my kids, so perhaps it may eventually be sold, but I kinda doubt it.

Last edited:
   / Love Letters. Real Estate #10  
I get letters from real estate agents wanting to sell my property. I've never responded. Never heard of nor received mail from individuals wanting to buy. That's just plain weird.