Low garage door, tall ROPS

/ Low garage door, tall ROPS #2  
I had done it. Fortunatelly the whole bike rack came of the car so no damage to the bike. The bike was worth more than the car.

/ Low garage door, tall ROPS #3  
Very interesting! I did the bike rack thing with my Raleigh Super Course TT and put a permanent "detent" in the headset bearing plus a bonus 9" gouge in the roof of my car. That unit would have paid for itself right there.

Back when brakemen used to walk on the tops of railroad cars to operate the brakes, the railroads used to string up dangly things across the tracks a fair distance from the entrance to a tunnel to warn the brakeman that he had to get down fast or get squashed. Someone must have wondered why they couldn't keep good brakemen for very long. I had been thinking of something like that to keep my ROPS out of my garage door, but this gizmo looks like much less trouble. Thanks for posting.

/ Low garage door, tall ROPS #4  
Yep, when I have the ROPS up I hang a bright yellow rag from the garage door handle. That way I see that prior to crashing into the garage :D

Prior to the rag I did hit the garage and crunched an outdoor light which thankfully absorbed the blow. Replaced the light and now use the flag which works well for me.

/ Low garage door, tall ROPS #5  
   / Low garage door, tall ROPS #6  
I had the same problem with my case 1830 so being a certified welder and fabricator I decided to chop the top! Cut out 1.5" out of the highest point and installed four slugs or inserts inside the bottom tube then plug welded into place then installed top and did the same then beveled and welded the two ROPS pieces back to eachother.. Now it's shorter and stronger at the joints.. And before anyone says anything about tempered metal remember its welded from the factory. Works for me.

/ Low garage door, tall ROPS #7  
Aaron - the HeadsUp System uses wireless technology but it's not RFID. To use it, just hang the alert sign in the garage, clip the InCar Alerter in the cab, and put the Gear Tag on the ROPS. Whenever you drive back towards the garage with the Alerter and Tag and get several car lengths away, the sign will flash and the Alerter will beep to remind you about the ROPS. We originally designed it to prevent a kayak or bicycle roof rack crash, but reading this thread I'm pretty sure it would work for tractor ROPS too. - Karl (co-founder of HeadsUp Systems)

/ Low garage door, tall ROPS #8  
Aaron - the HeadsUp System uses wireless technology but it's not RFID. To use it, just hang the alert sign in the garage, clip the InCar Alerter in the cab, and put the Gear Tag on the ROPS. Whenever you drive back towards the garage with the Alerter and Tag and get several car lengths away, the sign will flash and the Alerter will beep to remind you about the ROPS. We originally designed it to prevent a kayak or bicycle roof rack crash, but reading this thread I'm pretty sure it would work for tractor ROPS too. - Karl (co-founder of HeadsUp Systems)
Being as a ROPS flips up and down, wont it alert with the ROPS up or down?
If you put this on a bike that is mounted to a rack on the back of the car, would it still go off?

Aaron Z

/ Low garage door, tall ROPS #9  
True - as is, if you have the gear tag with you, the sign & alerter would alert every time you come back to the garage whether the ROPS was up or down. To make it only work when the ROPS is up, one could add a tilt switch to the gear tag so it is only turned on when the ROPS is tilted up. Or perhaps a contact switch - I'm not sure what ROPS tilt mechanisms look like. Being reminded every time is not bad - but being reminded only when it is up would be better.

/ Low garage door, tall ROPS
Karl:

Thanks for taking an interest in a possible "off label" (pharmaceutical term) use of your company's product.

Please forgive me if you know these terms. ROPS = Roll Over Protection Structure. A folding (tilting) ROPS is just that, a ROPS with a hinged joint in the middle to allow folding the ROPS down in cases where clearance is an issue (e.g. garage doors, low branches in forests, etc).

In the photo at this link https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/BambiThumper#5082045505164391986 you can make out the hinge points just above the flashing lights mounted on the ROPS. With my canopy, folding the ROPS is no longer an option.