LOW VOLTAGE on JD baler monitor

/ LOW VOLTAGE on JD baler monitor #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
I have a John Deere 5085M tractor and a JD 457 round baler. Sometimes, when completing the tie cycle, I'm getting a "LOW VOLTAGE" message on my electronic monitor.

A parts man, not at the dealership where I purchased, said that it's probably the wiring on the tractor. He suggested running a circuit directly from the battery.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks in advance.

/ LOW VOLTAGE on JD baler monitor #2  
Parts guy is probably correct. 99% of the time a low voltage issue is related to either the tractor wiring or how the monitor was wired in. Multiple electrical adapters can also drop the voltage, the system MUST have a good strong twelve volts to operate properly. Usually the only things that damage the monitor/baler harness are pulling away from unit w/ out unplugging harness causing lots of ele wiring damage, or some critter doing the damage for you, mice, cows, etc. However on a M series tractor you should be able to plug directly into the three prong power port that already exists on the baler and tractor so may have other problems. You should not have to wire direct to the battery on a late model Deere tractor, if you do though add some fuse protection or a circuit breaker.

/ LOW VOLTAGE on JD baler monitor #3  
I always run a baler monitor to the starter or battery. The linear actuator has a very high load at the end of the stroke( up to 25 amps) and the plugs in the tractor will not sustain that kind of load. They work well with sprayers that only need a short pulse, but not sustained load. You will fry your monitor or your actuator if you continue to under feed it. I agrees with the above post that you should put a 30 amp fuse in line if you go direct, if it does not already have one.

/ LOW VOLTAGE on JD baler monitor
Thanks for the replies, even though that's not what I wanted to hear. It bothers me that I need to run a separate circuit to the battery on a new tractor that cost over $50,000.
BTW, JD sells a "kit" that includes the plug, an in-line fuse, and enough wire to go to the battery. It's ONLY $109!!!! :eek: (I had checked on this because I wanted to put the JD plug on my NH tractor, so I could bale with it also)

I still need to contact the service department of my dealer.

/ LOW VOLTAGE on JD baler monitor #5  
Check on the power supply harness for a New Holland 648 round baler with Bale Command. Part number is 86509520 and should run less than $90.
New Holland has always required that round baler and forage harvester control boxes be wired directly to the battery.

/ LOW VOLTAGE on JD baler monitor #6  
Thanks for the replies, even though that's not what I wanted to hear. It bothers me that I need to run a separate circuit to the battery on a new tractor that cost over $50,000.
BTW, JD sells a "kit" that includes the plug, an in-line fuse, and enough wire to go to the battery. It's ONLY $109!!!! :eek: (I had checked on this because I wanted to put the JD plug on my NH tractor, so I could bale with it also)

I still need to contact the service department of my dealer.
Go to sloanex.com & order part #111231 for $17.99 plus shipping.Then go to your local parts store for wiring & fuse holder,this is the same plug that is on your tractor.

/ LOW VOLTAGE on JD baler monitor
Go to sloanex.com & order part #111231 for $17.99 plus shipping.Then go to your local parts store for wiring & fuse holder,this is the same plug that is on your tractor.

Thanks for the link. I'll proably do that so I can bale with the NH, if it became necessary. Nice to have a backup.

The JD will be fixed tomorrow. The service manager at the selling dealer said JD had a replacement wiring harness for that problem. Serviceman will do the repair at my farm. All covered by warranty. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all for your help.