Lower pivot pin sticking on BH77 with thumb

/ Lower pivot pin sticking on BH77 with thumb #1  

jim_wilson

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200 w/ BH77 & 12", 18" & 24" buckets, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660, Artillian Fork frame, Extreme 3pt rake, Concrete Mixer, MyTractorTools grapple adapter
Has anybody found a greasable pivot pin that will fit in the lower pivot for the thumb on a BH77 with the factory thumb?

I just went to use my thumb today, after not having used it for a good year and a half - and the thing seemed like it was welded in place.

After finally beating it open with a 5 pound sledge and a piece of wood ( so I wasn't hitting metal on metal) - what I finally found was that the lower pivot (the one where the locking bar attaches to the thumb) - was pretty much rusted up bad enough that it was sticking the thumb in place. I've got the pin out and I 'm going to grease it up good before reinstalling - but what I would really like to put in there - is a greasable pin.

Looking at the factory parts blowup on the Kubota site - and it doesn't look like the one they supply comes with a grease zerk. Anybody swapped one in that has the grease zerk?

I'd like to avoid this happening again. The pic below has a yellow arrow pointing to the pin I'm referring to.

425129-lower-pivot-pin-sticking-bh77-bh77-thumb-jpg

Attachments

• bh77-thumb.jpg
    bh77-thumb.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 1,842
   / Lower pivot pin sticking on BH77 with thumb #2  
One possibility is to have one made at a machine shop,shouldn't cost too much.Or maybe you could drill and tap the outside piece to accept a grease zerk.

/ Lower pivot pin sticking on BH77 with thumb #3  
Find some boat trailer wheel bearing grease. It's water proof and will last much longer in the field. Grease is basically oil suspended in a thickening carrier substance. Some grease uses a carrier that is very similar to soap and thus when exposed to water it will get washed away. Once the carrier is washed away the oil will quickly disappear.