Lowes Kobalt 40-v chainsaw

/ Lowes Kobalt 40-v chainsaw #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
I used my Lowes Kobalt 40-volt chainsaw yesterday for a pretty good while. I cut down one crepe myrtle with five trunks more than 5" and trimmed two more of limbs/trunks as big or bigger. I walked around the two acre yard trimming and cutting for a couple hours. The little saw is light enough I could use it with one hand while holding a limb back with the other. I got twice as much done as I could have carrying my heavier gas powered Stihl. I am 67-years old.

The little saw would not do for major work but for trimming and cutting what most homeowners would need cut it is perfect. I brought and used the 4.0 amp/hour battery and had the 2.5 amp/hour as backup. I gave out before the battery did.

I was impressed and pleased with the little brute.

RSLY

Last edited:
   / Lowes Kobalt 40-v chainsaw #2  
Does Lowes have their own brand now? Not a Kobalt? We had 2 Kobalt 40v brushed motor chain saws. Wore out the brushes on the 1st one and broke a cog on the 2nd one. This was with A LOT of use in clearing a 100 yard long pile of debris and start of cutting on downed trees among some invasives. The Kobalt was much easier on chain oil and easier to see the level of it than the present Stihl 36v MSA 120.

/ Lowes Kobalt 40-v chainsaw #3  
I have a Stihl and 2 Milwaukee battery saws. The Stihl is super light and my goto. The larger Milwaukee weighs about as much as my gas saws, but takes all of my batteries and has more power (16 inch bar). The small Milwaukee is for small limbs and is a true 1 hand saw...its awesome to carry around and chop small stuff up with.

I agree about the gas saws...at my altitude they are always underpowered anyway. However they still have their use for fell/buck on trees over 10 inches. I still use them every week.

/ Lowes Kobalt 40-v chainsaw #4  
I like my Echo fourteen inch pruning saw for a lot of cutting but for light work I prefer my Ryobi eighteen volt reciprocating saw. It's great for small limbs and branches.

/ Lowes Kobalt 40-v chainsaw #5  
I got one in parts if something ever needed. It just came burned up inside.

Have some pics on tear down on my old website.

I bought the B&D saw and pole saw for wife around the yard. My dad got the Kobalt pole saw.

/ Lowes Kobalt 40-v chainsaw #6  
This one was short lived by owner. Chain bar still like new.

ksawwww.jpg
ksawwwww.jpg
ksawww.jpg
ksaww.jpg
ksaw.jpg

/ Lowes Kobalt 40-v chainsaw
I was told/have read that the little saws were recalled last year due to the motors self destructing. The newer ones have a brushless motor that hopefully will last a little longer.

RSKY

/ Lowes Kobalt 40-v chainsaw #8  
What took us off Kobalt is their going to a 24v battery for their brushless stuff. Why? Then they have 80v for their lawn mowers. Not good engineering.