LS MT225 Synchro vs HST

/ LS MT225 Synchro vs HST #1  

pmhowe

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610
I would like those of you who have LS tractors (especially those with MT series) with the 12 speed synchro transmissions to give me feedback on your experience and what you like/dislike about them.

Some background: I have been looking into the purchase of a small tractor/loader. I have considered Massey Ferguson, Kioti, New Holland, LS, and Kubota. For a variety of reasons, I have pretty much decided upon a LS MT225. The prices are fair, there are dealers that seem responsive within driving distance, the tractor size is right, and I have been impressed with the reviews and comments on this forum.

Now I need to decide: Manual/synchro or HST. I'm guessing that most people who buy tractors in this size range buy HST. When I lived in the mountains west of Denver, Colorado, I had a Kubota L4240HST. It was a great tractor and met my needs at the time. My one complaint was that the transmission was noisy: It whined - a lot.

I used that tractor for a mix of work. Some loader work, digging and moving dirt about, digging up big boulders, stream management, brush removal, snow removal, and lots and lots of tree management and firewood work. I now live in mountains again, in northwestern North Carolina. I'm now older (not necessarily wiser) and am opting for the smaller tractor to do the same functions on a smaller scale. I grew up on manual transmissions, and am comfortable with them. I learned to drive on a Ford 8N.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Phil

/ LS MT225 Synchro vs HST #2  
It is my understanding the whine is typical of all HST transmissions. You will also lose a couple of PTO horsepower due to the HST as opposed to a gear transmission. I've always had gear transmissions until my Kubota L2501. I don't like the whine but I do like running the engine at PTO speed then varying ground speed with the pedal. You're into a personal preference option there. I'm happy with my choice. I hope you make the right choice for yourself.

/ LS MT225 Synchro vs HST #3  
I have an LS with the synchro shuttle, and I don't mind it. Recently been doing a lot of dirt work with a box blade, and I feel like not having to keep my foot on a pedal allows me to watch behind me a little easier. But, when doing loader/grapple work, an HST would be nice. If you're going to be doing a lot of stop and go loader work, I'd say HST. If you're doing 3 pt hitch work where you just drive forward and occasionally stop and back up, shuttle would be fine, and you get that extra couple HP back.

/ LS MT225 Synchro vs HST #4  
I prefer the gear over HST. But like you, I know how to drive a manual. HST's are easier for beginners and people that might have issues with a clutch. One reason I prefer my synchro-shuttle-gear tractor over the HST equivalent is the placement of the brakes. On an HST, the brakes are on the wrong side. That simply messes me up. The brakes belong on the right side, clutch belongs on the left.

My tractor also have a bit of a whine, but only at very low ranges/gears with high RPM. I dont really notice it anymore.

Also, service time. HST's have an additional filter. That filter is additional cost and time. Its probably not that much more, but it is more.

I do a bunch of loader work and forest management with my tractor. Its just as easy for me with a gear tractor than it would be with an HST. I am just as fast, and I feel like I have more control. Now, I do not have the HST equivalent to measure against, but I grew up with them. Even as a kid, I preferred the gear tractors.

My wife, however, does not like my gear tractor and resists using it. She has logged maybe an hour total since we got it years ago. She said we made a mistake getting the gear tractor, once she learned of the HST variant. But I have doubts she would operate the HST any more than she is currently with the gear tractor.

In all, it is personal preference. Many people prefer HST, as well as automatic cars and semi-trucks. But for some, having that manual transmission is worth it's weight in gold.

/ LS MT225 Synchro vs HST #5  
I also learned on a gear tractor but have owned one HST tractor and like Avenger i didn稚 like it, in my case I prefer the shuttle. The HST cost is about a extra $1000 bucks more and the shuttle works for me and the cash savings made me smile.

/ LS MT225 Synchro vs HST #6  
I drove Truck for 40 years, don't want to shift & clutch no more!!:cool2:

My R4041H doesn't whine much at all!! I love it for the work I do. Very easy to control machine in tight quarters.
The only shifting I have to do now is for the 3 ranges. :)

Hydro for me, all the way.

/ LS MT225 Synchro vs HST #7  
I have the 225 HST. I don't notice any whine. Medium range struggles on my steep hills of 20 to 30 degrees where the manual had no issues.

I would pick based on the type of work you are doing. If you're going to use the loader a lot or need slow and precise movements in tight places I would go with HST. Open fields and pulling work at constant speeds is way better with manual.

/ LS MT225 Synchro vs HST #8  
When I had the MT125, the HST whine was LOUD.... drove me nuts! After a few hours working on it, it would give me a headache. My XG3025 (MT225E) is a shuttle/gear. I like it a lot better. Using it for grading the 1/2 mile long drive, it is a real pleasure.... find the right gear / speed and just go. Allows me to concentrate on using / adjusting the 3 point attachments. Same goes for mowing... select a correct speed, sit back and enjoy the ride.

What is nice about the HST is the ability to make really small movements, like when hooking up 3 point attachments. I have done a bunch of loader work on both types, to me, the gear seems to be able to "push" into piles easier. It takes a second longer to go into reverse.... not much of a difference to me.

It is going to be a tough decision on your part, to me, the gear version "feels" like it has more power. The HST might be a little easier to use.

My neighbor has the new MT225-S (smaller tractor) and I definitely don't like the HST. Very touchy... I have watched him run into things forward (lightly), and run over things backing up.... might just be him, but I found it to be very sensitive to input....

/ LS MT225 Synchro vs HST #9  
All comes down to personal preference. If it was a power shuttle it might have been more of a debate for me (maybe).

/ LS MT225 Synchro vs HST #10  
I would like those of you who have LS tractors (especially those with MT series) with the 12 speed synchro transmissions to give me feedback on your experience and what you like/dislike about them.

Some background: I have been looking into the purchase of a small tractor/loader. I have considered Massey Ferguson, Kioti, New Holland, LS, and Kubota. For a variety of reasons, I have pretty much decided upon a LS MT225. The prices are fair, there are dealers that seem responsive within driving distance, the tractor size is right, and I have been impressed with the reviews and comments on this forum.

Now I need to decide: Manual/synchro or HST. I'm guessing that most people who buy tractors in this size range buy HST. When I lived in the mountains west of Denver, Colorado, I had a Kubota L4240HST. It was a great tractor and met my needs at the time. My one complaint was that the transmission was noisy: It whined - a lot.

I used that tractor for a mix of work. Some loader work, digging and moving dirt about, digging up big boulders, stream management, brush removal, snow removal, and lots and lots of tree management and firewood work. I now live in mountains again, in northwestern North Carolina. I'm now older (not necessarily wiser) and am opting for the smaller tractor to do the same functions on a smaller scale. I grew up on manual transmissions, and am comfortable with them. I learned to drive on a Ford 8N.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Phil
LS tractors come with cruise control on the HST. It is a lever on the right side that you can push down with your left foot to set the speed. I have a MT225e with HST and it performs well, but it does make a lot of noise. No big deal to me, but at first I was concerned there was something wrong. The only other minor issue is that you have to turn up the RPM's in order to use high range or it will stall the motor. Low range has plenty of power for digging into sand with the loader. So there really aren't any major issues with it and it is really easy to use.