LS P7040 CPS Reviews

/ LS P7040 CPS Reviews #1  

medic3720

Tractor
New Holland T4.75, Kubota ZD331 / Cub Cadet 7275 / TYM25 With Backhoe and Grapple
Hi everyone, I am currently in the market for a new tractor, I currently have a 7275 Cub Cadet tractor I bought new back in 1995. When the wife and I bought this tractor, it was for mowing my 13 acres, ( we were going to 1,000 dollar tractors every year ), then in 1999 we put a front end loader on it. Loved the tractor, did everything we needed. Then in 2003 we got into horses, then started doing are own hay. We use a international haybine to cut, then a small international rake, and then a small baler. It has been getting harder to find the help with baling during the summer, so I went and bought a 640 round baler, now i need to buy a bigger tractor. I have been told I need a 70 horse tractor to efficiently run the baler, but i would need about 90 horse to till some fields up properly. So I have looking at the JD 5085E, Kubota M5-91, and the LS P7040, I have driven the LS P7040CPS and loved it, The dealer willing to give me a great deal, But I would like to drive the rops before I decide and he doesn't have one on the lot. So I am looking for reviews on the LS P7040 ROPS or cabbed, which seem hard to find. For you that own them how do you like them, how are they power wise, fuel usage wise. Any problems. Thanks in advance. I plan on buying sometime in May.

/ LS P7040 CPS Reviews #2  
Hello, I have a neighbor that is a farmer and does quite a bit of hay each year. About 2 years ago he traded his 100 HP New Holland in on a LS P7040CPS and from day one he didn't like it, power wise is was great but the two things that he absolutely despised about it was the fact that the power shuttle was too jerky and you had to wait for it to engage, dealer adjusted it but they never could get it right. The other thing that he didn't like was the self leveling bucket due to the fact that when going down hill with a round bale of hay the hay would not stay on the spear (not enough roll back). Now mind you the self leveling bucket is strictly a personal choice, I know that most people that have them wouldn't go back to a non self leveling. He only kept it for about 6 months and traded it in an a McCormick T-Max 110 with a regular shuttle and non self leveling bucket, he is once again a happy farmer.

Randall

/ LS P7040 CPS Reviews #3  
I have a P7030 CPS with 400+ hours which is a 88 HP version and it has been great. My power shuttle has been flawless and I wouldn't want to own a tractor without electronic/hydraulic hi/lo. It has 40f/20r speeds and a 540/750/1000 PTO and you need to spend Deere M money to get those options.

Somebody who is haying will find those speed and PTO combinations desirable. The last P7040 I looked at still didn't have a regen cycle, being an interim model.

The bale falling off while going down hill is not a design flaw, but a learned skill in operating a self leveling loader. I wouldn't sell a tractor because I refused to tilt my bale spear while going down hill.

It's a LOT of tractor for the money. Don't EVEN think about getting it without a cab! Good luck in your search.

/ LS P7040 CPS Reviews #4  
Let me say, I'm not trying to talk you out of anything but...

Are you sure you need 90hp to prep 20 acres (by your profile info) for hay production? You could, if financially or otherwise necessary, get by with much less.

/ LS P7040 CPS Reviews
Let me say, I'm not trying to talk you out of anything but...

Are you sure you need 90hp to prep 20 acres (by your profile info) for hay production? You could, if financially or otherwise necessary, get by with much less.

This is very true, talking with the dealer he was trying to talk me into the ls XU6168CPS for about 38k, I also have driven the Kioti RX7320pcs and loved that except the slow hydraulics, along with the small displacement of the motor on both these units do concern me. I have thought about the LS P7010C, but then I loose the hydraulic shuttle. My current tractor has the hydrostat which i love.

Upon driving the 7040 I did find some mild jerkyness to the power shuttle, but I associated that to the tractor being cold and snowing out.

As far as my property, we have friends that just bought a new house with 15 acres of hay to be done, they also have the option to by the other 37 acres of hay fields by May 1st.

/ LS P7040 CPS Reviews #6  
What did you end up with and what are your thoughts? I'm looking at the LS P7040CPS, XU6168CPS, and "the last in the country" P7010C .

/ LS P7040 CPS Reviews
I went with a New Holland t4.75, the LS dealer was an hour away, so if I needed anything done it would be a 2 hour trip. The place where I got the NH at is only 12 miles and I got 0% for financing, couldn't pass it up. Love the tractor.