LS XR4145HC starting problem....

/ LS XR4145HC starting problem.... #21  
Mine used to make the "duck squawking" sound sometimes after shutting down. I seem to remember reading somewhere this noise can be caused by the turbo not cooling down sufficiently. I am now very strict about idling at 800 RPM for at least 2 minutes (if not more on hotter days) before shutting down. When I do that, no squawk.

/ LS XR4145HC starting problem....
I will replace those two items I mentioned above and let you guys know. I very much appreciate all the suggestions from this group.

If it is cranking but not starting then your issue is that it is probably not getting any fuel.

Is your fuel solenoid being energized?

There are two way to shut a diesel engine off, stop the air from entering the engine or stop the fuel.

I would guess you are not getting power to keep the fuel solenoid energized (open). Possibly it's relay is not working or a safety switch (brake, range lever, PTO, seat,.....) which is typically in the circuit is preventing it from being energized.
Where is this fuel solenoid located or the relay?

/ LS XR4145HC starting problem.... #24  
Sorry I'm not that familiar with your tractor to direct you their specific locations. You may be able to trace the fuel system to find the solenoid, most likely its close to the injection pump or at least that's where it is located on tractors that I'm familiar with.

Do you have a operators manual as it may give you a general overview?

After replacing the battery, both battery cables and the ignition switch I still get nothing when I turn the key to run. The dash board energizes, the glow plug heats up and the light goes out but when I turn the key the rest of the way to turn over the engine nothing happens. I can manually jump the S terminal to the hot wire on the starter solenoid and the engine will turn over just fine, but it won't fire up. Any ideas?

/ LS XR4145HC starting problem.... #26  
Have you been able to make any progress ? Are you sure there’s fuel in the tank ?

Have you been able to make any progress ? Are you sure there’s fuel in the tank ?
The problem is that I can't get the starter to engage without jumping the S pin on the starter to the hot post, the key won't turn over the engine. Yes it has fuel so that is not the problem. Once I get the engine to turnover normally from the ignition switch I think it will start.

Update: I have confirmed that I'm not getting any voltage from the signal wire at the started to tell the starter to operate. I'm pouring over the wiring schematic and have decided that I need to locate the Starter motor(mini) whatever the hell that is?
The signal wire is black with yellow strip so I'm pretty confident this is the wire I highlighted below. I don't know what this Starer motor (mini) is, it looks like a relay but everywhere else in the schematics where they show a relay, they also call it a relay. I want to locate this item and see if I can replace it working my way up the wiring harness.

Schematic.jpg

/ LS XR4145HC starting problem.... #29  
Update: I have confirmed that I'm not getting any voltage from the signal wire at the started to tell the starter to operate. I'm pouring over the wiring schematic and have decided that I need to locate the Starter motor(mini) whatever the hell that is?
The signal wire is black with yellow strip so I'm pretty confident this is the wire I highlighted below. I don't know what this Starer motor (mini) is, it looks like a relay but everywhere else in the schematics where they show a relay, they also call it a relay. I want to locate this item and see if I can replace it working my way up the wiring harness.

View attachment 794130
That is the starter relay. When the key switch is held to the start position you should have 12 across pins 4 and 2. If not the problem will be a ground or the Key switch. If you get power there you should have power across 4 and 5 with key in start position. If not then you should see power with the key in the run position across 4 and 1. If you have power across 4 and 1 but not 4 and 5 then the relay is bad.

/ LS XR4145HC starting problem.... #30  
I would have thought there would be some "safety switches" in the circuit for the starter relay to be energized like the tractor being in neutral, the PTO not engaged, parking brake on, seat switch being made like someone is sitting it......