LT166 Charging Circuit - component location?

/ LT166 Charging Circuit - component location? #1  

661TL

Tractor
John Deere LT166
I have an LT166 which is not putting out any charge to the battery when it runs. I'd like to check the charging circuit's components, but I am seeing conflicting information on what it uses and where they are located.

According to the PDF Service Manual I bought online, the LT166 does not use a voltage regulator like the LT 133 or 155. It shows a single diode in a single wire from the alternator stator ring leading to the battery. I cannot see this diode, nor do I see the kind of connector they show, which has 2 wires, because it says a second lead from the stator feeds AC directly to the headlights.

What is more confusing is that I initally found many online listings for a voltage regulator with 3 wires specifically meant for the LT166???

Can someone help me sort this out and find the components I need to test? I see a single yellow wire coming from under the flywheel. The Service manual shows it to be a red wire, with the single diode in it??

/ LT166 Charging Circuit - component location?
-cricket.....cricket......cricket......

Turns out the Briggs and Stratton Vanguard Twin 16HP engine can have any one of four different alternator layouts. Some are regulated, some are not. Lots of info here:
www4.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/alternator_id.pdf
www4.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/alternator_replacement.pdf